NEED HELP: Spring Shackle Relacement - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Suspension Lift/Drop Kits Springs, Shocks, Brakes, Axles,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Spring Shackle Relacement

any of you guys had to replace the spring shackles in your truck. My drivers side rear shackle broke and now the spring is resting against the bottom of my box. Need to know how much of a PITA it's gonna be

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Garage
Been there, done that. Common problem on F-series trucks. The worst part is getting new bolts in place of the factory rivot's. I did that job on my '95 F-350 and wished I had taken the box off as it would have been 100 times easier to get the new bolts in. Instead, I ****ed around with wrapping a piece of wire around each bolt to "fish" it thru the frame holes. If your rear fuel tank is fubar'd then this would be a great time to pull it out and do both jobs at the same time. However you do it, replace both shackle and spring hangers on both sides so you won't have to do it again. Another tip, have a 4' Jackall handy to lift the rear of truck up and away to line up springs and new hangers. Have a buddy around to help keep the truck steady while you're doing this part. As for the parts, I had to settle for Ford stuff ($$) cuz nothing else available for me on short notice. I'd buy new though...maybe LMC Truck parts. Good luck. and get a face shield too if you are dealing with a lot of rust falling when taking out rivots.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
yup did that job on my 88 f150 did both sides so I wouldn't have to do it again, a set of torches and a big hammer, punch, a forklift is nice but not everyone has use of one of those (lol) took me longer to remove the old shackels than to put it back together, by myself took me 2 hrs doing both sides.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
may have gotten lucky cause it's only the bottom part of the shackle that broke on me and it just has 1 long bolt holding it in there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode