Chirping - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Chirping

ok ive done some googleing but havent posted this question on thedieselstop yet, under throttle (WOT) the turbo makes a noticable "chirping" sound... idea's ?

Im thinking its an overboost issue or a bearing on the way out and noticable under a heavy right foot....

the google searches dont bring back much of anything guys saying its a belt or its supposed to "make that sound" im sure its not supposed to sound like metal on metal..this is on a warm engine I dont push the engine untill its at operating temps.

With us slowing down this winter (normal) I will finnaly have time to get it in and have the head studs done along with other stuff might aswell do a turbo upgrade aswell I guess....

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 AM

Garage
Good possibility of a "dirty" turbo. Apparently the unison ring can get rusty and become sticky. I will be doing this at some point too. I already bought a new unison ring (just in case it's cracked) and a rebuild kit with bearings, etc. There are a lot of upgrades you can do to make your 6.0 reliable. And if you are doing heads with studs, it's worth to do as much as you can as stuff is apart already. Gonna do it yourself? I did all my own work (besides machining) and probably saved my self 10-15 g's in labor costs...our Ford dealer charges $125 an hour...and they have young inexperienced guys working there. I don't trust anyone around here, so I learned to do it myself.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Nope going to hire it out... I could do it but without a hoist it would be a royal PITA that and my shop heights only 9' lilited room new I should have lifted it (the shop)

Local guy here who does good work if I can get ahold of him. 10-15g ? wow the dealer here I got a quote from was at $3200.... also a reputable diesel shop. thats with no machineing or upgrade parts.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Garage
Wow $3200, that's a lot cheaper than here. Is that for labor only? A friend had studs and gaskets put on his here (local Ford dealer) and the bill was $9400!

I spent many hours, doing many upgrades and took my time to make sure it was done right and looked good. I didn't take my cab off for the job though. It can be done with the cab on...even though some guys don't believe it. The 10-15 g's is a guess of the labor costs our dealer would charge to do all the stuff I did.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Chirpin

I would think the compressor wheel is touchin the housing or one of the gaskets is leakin, causing a whistle. Maybe pull the intake pipe and check shaft movement and housing contact. I have a rebuilt 03 turbo here. I will shoot you a pm.

2005 F250 SCSB 4x4
-ARP studs, PowerMax turbo, Custom tuned SCT, Accufab intake elbow, Coolant filter, Oil bypass filter, Autometers and Scangauge, Zoodad + fast idle mods, Gogo direct solenoid, 4" turbo back MagnaFlow duals,2.5 levelling kit, Air bag helpers, Cowl hood, 7.5` Arctic plow

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode