Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Periodic Cold Transmission Failure

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ronburgundy 
#1 ·
Periodic Cold Transmission Failure. My 2008 6.4 diesel F350 has 165,000 km. problem started last October about 20k ago.

Only when cold, it occasionally fails to fully engage. I start up, put it in Drive, and step on the accelerator. It revs, but fails to go, I'm just kinda coasting, as if the clutch is totally worn out.

This only lasts a minute or two, then it starts acting normally. Interestingly, I was using a diesel Dodge 3500 for a short time last year, which was doing the identical thing, again only when cold.

Took mine to Ford mechanic, they could not replicate the problem or get any codes. Anyone know what's going on? It's getting more frequent, like a few times per week.

#2 ·
I had a problem with an 08 gas F250 that wouldn't go into reverse at times and of course it would not do it at the dealers. Wound up having trans go out on me. converter, bands and clutches all fried. After trans done they still had to replace shifter and related parts at the column. When it wouldn't go into gear it felt like it was in neutral.

#4 ·
When was the last fluid and filter change?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.