Motorcraft Diesel Info - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Motorcraft Diesel Info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3mO...c-HM-fresh+div

im sure this would apply for other filters to gas models aswell

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Great video, I wonder how many brands they had to look at to find two out of spec. The problem is scare tactics with no specific details of who the culprits are will always be the most effective, it leaves you believing that no other product measures up when it's possible that only one or two low end obscure brands are to blame. They count on the fact that you don't have the ability to test and measure the performance of other brands. I do most of my own oil changes and 90% of my filters come from the local International store as well as the fuel filters and Rotella T oil. Since International makes the engine, I suppose they shouldn't have a problem with them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

if you search google theres a guy who takes apart a bunch of oil filters aswell they didnt get to a Motorcraft filter but im sure not using a frame filter again after seeing what they look like cut open.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 PM
zip

I use only Motorcraft, Fram or Racor for my 6.0

Chris

03 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 S/B Lariat,Procomp 2" leveling kit, zoodad mod, straight pipe
75 F150, 79 Bronco
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM

I just picked up a Motorcraft at AutoZone yesterday in Indiana for $20. I guess I'll get more of those. I am paying between $21.20-$24.54 (depending who's on the desk) at the international dealer. I don't think Ford could dispute either of these as being OEM. In a pinch on a Sunday, I bought a Fram a few weeks ago at CTC and paid $27.46!! I think I am going to start stocking spares so i don't have to do that again. I am a little afraid that Fram might be one of the brands they are talking about in the video. (see, their video worked!)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM
zip

The Fram is not one of the filters they are talking about. Fram filters for the 6.0 are made by Racor which also makes the motorcraft filter.

I had the same fear of Fram and was going to use Wix until I did some research. I wouldn't use Fram on my gasser but they have the best for the diesel.

Chris

03 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 S/B Lariat,Procomp 2" leveling kit, zoodad mod, straight pipe
75 F150, 79 Bronco
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 AM

Good to know, thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

on your next oilchange when you pull the filter cut it open it would be interesting to know exactly if there just cheap insides...

also whats wrong with WIX ? use alot at work there extremely well made thick housing and steel internals...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 AM
zip

What I have been told is Wix is what they call a will fit filter. I don't know about the fuel filter but the oil filter is slightly shorter. This allows oil to pass by the filter without being filtered. The one I was going to buy had the cap on the filter. It also has more pleats which I would have thought was better. Guess not.

As for fuel filters I think some of the others don't have the water seperator material on the main fuel filter.

Most of this info is stuff I got from another site.

If any of you want some awesome 6.0 info PM me with an email and I'll try and get it to you.

Chris

75 F150, 79 Bronco
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:53 PM

I bought my 06 F-250 diesel truck used last Feb. from a dealer.
When I test drove it, it started and ran fine.
I closed the deal and the dealership, not Ford, said they were going to service it.
I picked up the truck the next day and after a few days of driving it, I noticed it was 'lazy' to start.
A good friend of mine works for the Toronto City works, he is a lic. gas/diesel mechanic and a teaching mechanic, so I gave him a call, as I know their fleet includes Ford and other diesels.
When I told him the truck was slow to start, which I didn't notice when I test drove it, the first thing he said was to go and look at the oil filter!!
I opened the hood and "Wix" was printed right on the housing cap!
He told me that they encountered the same issues shortly after getting the new 6.0 motors. He explained that the Wix filter does not fit as well as the stock filter/cap and it allows oil to drain out or the housing after the motor is turned off. Since our injectors are driven by the motor oil, the slow start is caused as the filter housing has to fill back up! He added that since they don't fit as well, the oil filtering quality is 'questionable'.
To add to my issue, my stock filter housing cap had been thrown out during the service, as the Wix comes with it's own, but as it is shorter than the stock cap, I had to go and buy a new cap from Ford for $92.00!!!!
I installed a new IH filter along with the factory cap and no more lazy start up!
He said that the best filter to use in the 6.0 ltr are the Motorcraft filter(s), or the IH filter(s) since, as mentioned above, the motor is an IH unit. He added that they had not tested other filters, but to definately stay away from Wix.
I use IH filters in my truck now, as they are approx. 50% less than getting them at Ford, plus I know they will fit and perform as well as the Ford parts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode