NEED HELP: Dealer oil change negligence killed my Powerstroke - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dealer oil change negligence killed my Powerstroke

Is there anyone out there that can help me with some advice and some direction.
Due to dealer negligence, my Powerstroke has died a slow death.

Is there anyone that has had a situation where they have proven dealer liability for negligence?

Is anyone familiar with their parts and labour guarantees?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 PM
atk

Send a message via MSN to atk
what did they do or didn't do?

2004 FORD F-250 XLT 4x4 C/C S/B....

Sct-Livewire with custom tunes, guages, 4" exhaust,coolant filter....soon to be tuned by PHP....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 AM

Garage
Tough call to make without details, as atk says, and when you say "thier parts and labour guarantees", who exactly do you mean?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I have a 2005 Excursion with a 6L diesel. I had the truck for a year, and suffered a lifter failure (the roller was ingested into the oil pump via the pan intake)
Although the failure cannot be pinpointed, it was no doubt accelerated by the recirculation of BY-PASSED OIL. This occurred because the oil by-pass valve was MISSING from the standpipe in the oil canister.
The standard by which I am asking the dealer to accept some liability is the "plain view" of the pressure relief valve during an oil change, and the fact that their employee never looked into the canister to see the base of an aftermarket oil filter that was still sitting inside. For four oil changes, they were crushing the factory filter when installing it. I suspect they pulled the relief valve off after it became lodged in the oil filter when the filter was crushed during installation.
The dealer has a parts (Ford factory) and labour (repairs and replacement parts) guarantee. This is not a "warranty" per se, but a guarantee the job will be done "right".

Running the by-passed oil littered my engine with metal particles.

I realize that my post was pretty vague, but this is a negligence issue. They do a 60 point inspection for an oil change but apparently they can't notice a missing by-pass valve. Hence, the slow death of my Powerstroke and a big question of accountability!

How does one hold a dealer accountable for at least some liability?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 PM
atk

Send a message via MSN to atk
you would think that after the first filter was crushed something was wrong. in my opinon they should be held responsible, whether the vehicle is under warranty or not. do you still have the physical proof of what happened to filters? you may need to go talk to a lawyer if they are not going to take any responsibity for this. these motors aren`t cheap to replace....lets us know how you make out....

2004 FORD F-250 XLT 4x4 C/C S/B....

Sct-Livewire with custom tunes, guages, 4" exhaust,coolant filter....soon to be tuned by PHP....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by atk View Post
you would think that after the first filter was crushed something was wrong. in my opinon they should be held responsible, whether the vehicle is under warranty or not. do you still have the physical proof of what happened to filters?
Yes I have the filter, standpipe (with no pressure relief valve), failed lifter, IPR valve, HPOP screen, and am returning to get the oil pump and gear.

I feel that negotiations have stalled. I also feel that instead of playing a polite game of chess, I will go fill out my Small Claims Court papers today and serve them on the owner of the dealership.

I will keep you guys in the loop. I expect that the dealer would stand by their parts and labour guarantee especially in a case of negligence.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Forum Newbie

who installed the original aftermarket oil filter? Ford filters do not cause the above problem, hence why ford recommends only using their filters.

Your best bet is to go to who is at fault which is whoever installed the aftermarket oil filter.

Btw ford has ssm and tsb's on aftermarket oil filters causing oil filtration and lubrication concerns.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode