ABS light - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

ABS light

I have a new to me F250 2005 6l 4x4. When I hit the brakes and turn to the right, the brake pedal vibrates and the abs comes on. It goes out after a bit. A mechanic told me this means either a wheel bearing is going or an abs sensor. Does this sound true. Are these wheel bearings tough to change? Also, this 6l has 195k on it and has never had a problem, so says the original owner. Do some of these last this long? I am scared to drive it without doing the cooler,egr and head studs Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Apprentice

The 6.0 replaced the 7.3 in 2003 I believe. The first runs were consider flaky for a variety of reasons from the new variable vane turbo to the PCM to the new ridiculous emissions junk. The later models are supposedly better, your 2005 is probably pretty safe for those particular issues, and just is going to have the more usual run of the mill type issues. I wouldn't worry about a stock engine needing head studs. I don't know enough about the PCM to say what version is safe, but you could always check for recalls and see if yours needs to be flashed http://www.ford.com/owner-services/c...ll-information

As for brake pedal vibration...I myself wouldn't have though of wheel bearing from that, but if there is ever any suspicioun of a wheel bearing you should jack it up and brace it and inspect. Any play and it has to be replaced. If it is a sensor, you could try troubleshooting it by tracking down the sensor, disconnecting it, and seeing if you can recreate your problem.

--
1997 F250 HD XLT, 4x4, E40D, 4.10 limited slip 265/75 KM2s 300k mi
2002 Escape XLT, auto, tow package, Cooper disco STTs, 120k mi
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM
atk

Send a message via MSN to atk
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
I have a new to me F250 2005 6l 4x4. When I hit the brakes and turn to the right, the brake pedal vibrates and the abs comes on. It goes out after a bit. A mechanic told me this means either a wheel bearing is going or an abs sensor. Does this sound true. Are these wheel bearings tough to change? Also, this 6l has 195k on it and has never had a problem, so says the original owner. Do some of these last this long? I am scared to drive it without doing the cooler,egr and head studs Thanks.

as stated in your other thread, get your truck scanned for codes. this should help pinpoint which front sensor/wheel bearing is your problem area....

as for reliabilty of the 6.0L`s. they need to maintained properly. yes they did have a few problems early on, but most was taken care of 2005. also, don`t baby these motors, which includes extended idle times....if you plan on working the truck hard, plan on doing head studs, egr delete, and a exhaust system to start with....a tuner is also a good idea, along with some guages.

if your truck is out of warranty, stay away from Ford reflashes, they will usually kill mpg`s and power. talk to people at Power Hungry Performance about FICM reprogramming and possible Ecm rollback....

2004 FORD F-250 XLT 4x4 C/C S/B....

Sct-Livewire with custom tunes, guages, 4" exhaust,coolant filter....soon to be tuned by PHP....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode