switching to synthetic - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Raptor, Harley-Davidson, Limited, King Ranch, 60th Anniversary, Platinum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to gewiens
switching to synthetic

So, i got a whopping 2400kms on truck, at 5000 i wanna change it out. No big deal to start running mobile1 in it right? also change to 5w30.? That 5w20 is abit to much like wd40 to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Ford recommends 5w20 for a reason. switching to a 5w30 could hurt your warrenty.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 PM

I get ford dealer to do it for me
They use Mobile1 and I do it every 8 to 9 k
Manual tells you every 12k or 6 months

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM

WOW, have you taken a oil course? did you design 5.4L? What makes you think you know the motor better then them? I don't want to be an A** hole but I have taken an esso oil course, I'm a red seal mechanic and I am one hell of a smart guy and there is no way I would second guess those guys. Yes I agree run synthetic. Longer molecular chains give you better protection and mobile 1 is a good product.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
MJG

Synthetic is good and dandy, go for it.
With regards to the 5w20, at least for my 01 motor, Ford originallydesigned the 2v 5.4 modular motor for 5w30, they swapped to 5w20 for other reasons....but as I said, mine recommends 5w20, but i use 5w30, I recieved this info from an actual former svt tech/engineer.
Never had any issues, to be honest the 5w20 was too thin for me, not that 5w30 is much better, but I noticed i was using less oil from the switch.

It's all about the boost!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my06harleyf150 View Post
WOW, have you taken a oil course? did you design 5.4L? What makes you think you know the motor better then them? I don't want to be an A** hole but I have taken an esso oil course, I'm a red seal mechanic and I am one hell of a smart guy and there is no way I would second guess those guys. Yes I agree run synthetic. Longer molecular chains give you better protection and mobile 1 is a good product.
Its 5w20 for a reason, with warrenty use what it says or you will be screwed if something happens!!

Last edited by Stainless; 03-09-2009 at 10:00 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
MJG

I highly doubt swapping from 5w20 to 5w30 would show any difference and even affect warranty IMO. As stated before I run opposite of what Ford recommends and mine is a high performance vehicle, and my motor is mint, alot to do with the synthetic I run.
Either one you chose to use,synthetic is a definate improvement.

It's all about the boost!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I highly doubt swapping from 5w20 to 5w30 would show any difference and even affect warranty IMO. As stated before I run opposite of what Ford recommends and mine is a high performance vehicle, and my motor is mint, alot to do with the synthetic I run.
Either one you chose to use,synthetic is a definate improvement.
If you have a engine failure and they do a oil sample( which is becoming more commen these days, i have done them myself for chryco warrenty, and did them all the time in heavy duty) they can tell the type of oil it is and the grade....... if your not worried of warrenty do what you want, but if you want warrenty, stick with what they rec. so you dont get screwed if something does happen........... oh by the way, if you use the wrong oil in some chrysler/dodge products it will set a check engine light for wrong oil viscosity.... theres something for all you to stew on!! Ya ya its a Ford site, Im just stating the facts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM

motorcraft 5w20 is a semi synth oil thus this is why they have extended the serv intervals to 6mths/8,000km on 08+. the main reason they did this was for corporate milage and emmisions.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to gewiens
Yes , as a matter of fact, i did design the first 5.4L. We started out with a ash block with oak trim. We used old 2L bottles for the cylinders. Ran awesome on canola oil with abit of 7up in it. I just dont know why they went this route with all the steel and aluminum parts. We got 745,000 miles outta the first engine, but the soup can pistons gave out. Shoulda taken that darn training coarse. but me not though smart not.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode