new 2010 truck - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Raptor, Harley-Davidson, Limited, King Ranch, 60th Anniversary, Platinum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

new 2010 truck

ok i just got a new Harley f150 with all the bells n whistles and only a 5.4 not the new 5.0 or 6.2 unfortunately.
i have alot of questions.
1. what is that green cylinder mounted on the exhaust? vibration tuner maybe?

2. whats with the ugly alien looking intake with all its extra chambers? is this performance enhancing or just to minimize the howl of inrushing air when under hard acceleration? can i just replace it with same diameter pipe?

3. why the hell did they build the exhaust with 2 -2.5 pipes feeding from headers/cats into a 2.5 inch y-pipe that then enlarges to 3 " just before the muffler/cat flange, then back down to 2.5 inches again untill muffler then dual tailpipes? whats the point of offering mandrel bent pipes from headers back if you choke flow off with smaller diameter portions of y pipe and exhaust pipe.

4. what are the little pump/prime looking dealies on rear brakes? something to help maintain or bleed brakes?

5. whats the best computer chip tuner to get, keeping in mind i will be doing an upgraded exhaust system and intake?

6.is the 18 inch spare tire a good indication of the smallest winter tire n wheel combo i can get and still not rub the brakes?

7. can i upgrade the hard drive in navigatoin/stereo system? is it just a normal computer ide or serial ata hdd or ssd? just imagine putting a 1.5 terabyte hdd in there.

i challenge you ford experts for these answers. i have been out of the truck scenne for the last forty months and am eager to get back into it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hogdust
First of congrats on the new Truck.

I can not answer all of your questions but I will try a couple

5. whats the best computer chip tuner to get, keeping in mind i will be doing an upgraded exhaust system and intake?

If you have a performance shop close to you, your best bet would be to get an SCT Tuner device and have them custom tune your Truck. Install the CAI before the tune, exhaust does not matter for tuning purposes.

7. can i upgrade the hard drive in navigatoin/stereo system? is it just a normal computer ide or serial ata hdd or ssd? just imagine putting a 1.5 terabyte hdd in there.

The Hard Drive would have the maps for the navigation system on it, as well as the "Operating" System. Unless you can figure out a way to ghost the drive I would say this is not easy. It is much easier to use an iPod for a music source IMOH

2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn Northern Edition - Patriot Blue Pearl
Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - Flowmaster 10 Muffler - Tint - Side Steps - Bedrug - 20x9 Fuel Beast Wheels - TrailFX Bull Bar with Light Bar
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

i am not sure if theres a performance shop within a 100 miles capable of performance tuning an sct tuner? saskatoon sask?
if the hardware is compatible i canprobly ghost the software onto it.

does fords sync enable detailed control of ipods whenhooked up? or do i still have to play the songs on the ipod with the ipod interface?

Lava red 2010 Harley F150 with all the bells n whisles inc navigation.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromanf150 View Post
does fords sync enable detailed control of ipods whenhooked up? or do i still have to play the songs on the ipod with the ipod interface?
Definitely congrats on the new truck man - nice ride.

Plug in your I-pod with a USB cable and you can control it with the Nav System Touch Screen on your truck for sure.

Actually, when you plug in the I-Pod, the menu controls on the I-Pod get locked out, and you don't have any choice BUT using the Nav System Controls.

You can scroll through all your Playlists/Artists/Albums/Podcasts etc, but the SYNC system won't download the contents of your I-Pod to the on-board drive,so you have to leave it plugged in.

Another option is to burn your CD's to the onboard hard drive, and then you don't have to worry about plugging in the I-Pod.

Hope that helps.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 PM

Congrats on your new ride

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 AM

welcome to fordtough.ca
"1. what is that green cylinder mounted on the exhaust? vibration tuner maybe?"
your correct in they use this to minimise exhaust vibrations for nvh.
"2. whats with the ugly alien looking intake with all its extra chambers? is this performance enhancing or just to minimize the howl of inrushing air when under hard acceleration? can i just replace it with same diameter pipe?"
the intake is designed with extra chambers for resonance reduction,if you change it out for a cai you may notice a howl under throttle.
"3. why the hell did they build the exhaust with 2 -2.5 pipes feeding from headers/cats into a 2.5 inch y-pipe that then enlarges to 3 " just before the muffler/cat flange, then back down to 2.5 inches again untill muffler then dual tailpipes? whats the point of offering mandrel bent pipes from headers back if you choke flow off with smaller diameter portions of y pipe and exhaust pipe."
this was done to optimise backpressure and sound quality(it's ugly but it seems to work)
"4. what are the little pump/prime looking dealies on rear brakes? something to help maintain or bleed brakes?"
first time i seen those on a new truck i wondered the same thing,it seems they are for nvh reduction from the brakes(leave it to design engineers to come up with wierd stuff!)

"6.is the 18 inch spare tire a good indication of the smallest winter tire n wheel combo i can get and still not rub the brakes?"
the 18"rim would be the cheapest way to go. as for your audio system questions i'll have to research the system for you.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
MJG

Congrats, need pics!

It's all about the boost!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode