What would you upgrade first on your truck - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Question What would you upgrade first on your truck

What is in your opinion the weakest bone stock part on the f150?

What would you replace first if you were going to upgrade one part (excluding tires) and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Depends on what you're willing to spend

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I am not talking about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am talking about if you were to replace one component on the truck what would that be
And I mean from a reliability perspective not from a performance perspective.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 PM

A tuner or chip depending on which you prefer

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
My first mod was the exhuast, why cause stock just isn't kool
my 2nd mod was tires as I wanted beefy ones

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaney View Post
I am not talking about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am talking about if you were to replace one component on the truck what would that be
And I mean from a reliability perspective not from a performance perspective.
This is very general/ vague question that can go many different ways... Sorry if I sound rude..

If you have a 97-03 truck that you just bought.. I'd recommend get a good mechanic to go over it with a microscope and see what's worn out that requires replacing at a reliability stand point. aka tie-rod, ball joint etc.

Each person uses their truck differently and customizes it differently to their tastes due things they want to change or wear out. Some people believe the stock exhaust is weak. Others believe the suspension doesn't have enough ground clearance. Or too much clearance. Not enough power on the low end. Doesn't have firm enough shifts.

If your thinking what's some common problems with say the 4.6L engine and what should you look out for maintenance wise/ reliability then I would ask you to be a little more specific please..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Viper:

Ok, you're right I should have been more specific. I was hoping to hear something like: on this vechicle the ____ tends to break more than anything else, start with that.

I think that a lot of people seem to conflate mods with improvements - I don't. A tuner chip is great but that is a performance mod. There is no reason to think it would improve the life of the truck. But I know nothing about that so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I come at this from the following perspective: when something breaks on my truck I not only want to fix it but I want to upgrade it. To me it is not a repair job - it is a mod opportunity.

You mentioned Tie-rod and ball joint are these the most common things to break on these trucks? If so what is the more long lasting replacement.

Before I found this discussion board I mused this very question out loud to a friend of mine. His answer: get a Tacoma. That kinda stung but my sister had one for over 10 years and NOTHING broke on that truck. Annoying.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Wrong on the tuner. A tuner will give you better fuel mileage because it gives you the proper air/fuel mixture for your truck rather than the baseline that all the trucks have when coming out of the factory. This puts less strain on engine components therefore saving you repair costs cause parts last longer. Any other questions?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 PM

front window tint is the first mod i did on 3 vehicles i have owned/

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisa899 View Post
Wrong on the tuner. A tuner will give you better fuel mileage because it gives you the proper air/fuel mixture for your truck rather than the baseline that all the trucks have when coming out of the factory. This puts less strain on engine components therefore saving you repair costs cause parts last longer. Any other questions?
I can't agree with you on this. Do you not think the Ford engineers are going to tune on the safer side? Do you think that the after market tuners know more than the team of engineers who know their product better than any one else? That same team that develops the programs in the first place? Ford will tune to get a balance of reliability, performace and emmisions. Any time you add tunes you are going for more performance which has to increase strain on internal components. Not to mention you will sacrifice either emmisions or fuel economy. If not, Ford would have already tuned it that way. And nobody builds tunes to detune for the sake of longevity. Just my 2 cents with the caveat that I have a diesel.

2001 F350 CC SWB 6spd....currently getting a complete 'makeover'. Stay tuned.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode