Just repladed A/T cooling lines with rubber hose - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Just repladed A/T cooling lines with rubber hose

This has probably already been posted but for anyone facing a similar problem, this is how I replaced my rusted out A/T cooling lines:

-Put front of truck up on jack stands and place soaker pads on ground (not much tranny fluid escaped)
-cut out old cooling lines using one of those tools that holds a hacksaw blade. Not much room to work.
-Flare the ends of the tubing to prevent hose from slipping off. Think about this before you cut the old tubing. Try to leave room for the flaring tool. I was able to use the proper tool on the lower tube ends but had to improvise on the connections at the rad. I had to flare the tubes manually with a small screwdriver. Be careful not to use too much force and break something, but better to do a rough flaring job than risk the hose slipping off.
-For jobs like these I like to lay out the hoses and fasten them down before connecting the ends. Use tywrap straps and leave a little extra length. Double check that the hoses are connected the same as the old tubing. Leave enough slack near the connections to avoid kinking. Fasten well enough that the hoses cannot move or rub.
-Now the easy part! Slip the gas hose onto your tube ends and fasten with two gear clamps each. Try to position one gear clamp near the flared tube end. The clamp is tight enough when it is flush with the hose and with the flared end it won't slip off. Resist the tempatation to overtighten and possibly damage the hose or the clamp.
-Wipe off as much of the old oil leak as you can from the truck frame, etc. Do a test drive and check closely for any signs of leakage.

I never did price out OEM replacement cooling lines but I bet they are more expensive than the $20 I spent on hose and clamps! Plus I didn't have to deal with fittings on the tranny and rad.

Hope this thread can help the next person save a bit of money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM

Garage
Welcome to fordtough.ca....not that it makes a huge difference to the body of your write up, but what year is your ride?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
When the snow flies hammer on the gas pedal and watch the trail of tranny fluid behind you. How do I know? Cause I did the same thing as you. Now I've had new steel cooler lines fabbed up and no more trail. There's a reason the factory uses steel

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Apprentice

yes the gas hose will work in a pinch but it is by no means a permanent repair. the rubber hose is not rated for the pressures or temperatures produced by an automatic transmission.

its not damage, its experience
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

My truck is a 2003, 4.6l. Thanks for the heads up on the risks of rubber hose in place of steel tubing! I'll have to get some proper ones made up now!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode