How many Km's - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

How many Km's

Hey All,

I got to thinking, what kinda of Km's can i expect from the 5.4L in my truck, She's at 236K now?, I change oil every 5k, High milage stuff, I am always down a liter by Change time.

I am trying to figure if it's worth fixing the gears, or should i trade it for something else...

If i can get well over 300K then i may just fix the gears as the rest of the truck is in great shape...

What do you guys think?

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Garage
Judgement call really.

If you've owned it since new, you've got a good indication of the single best factor that will ensure a long life for your ride.......

Routine maintenance.

Add in some basic care like regular washes and some sort of oil spray/rust inhibitor, and you'll likely go a long way.

Then there's always the wildcard of shit that breaks for no apparent reason, no way to predict that kind of stuff.

What sort of history does the truck have ?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM

timeing chain and guides would be a concern in the future if they havent been done already.... climate control/blend door most fords seem to have this issue at some point in there lifetime... wheel bearings the higher the klms the more stuff just gets worn out... and lets face it stuff made today isnt made to last.... If I had a gasser truck that hit 200k id start looking to trade/sell it by 250k but with those miles on it it can be a hard sell

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Umm? Thats what i am trying to figure out, I know my heater core is on the way out as it bubbles after long drives....As for history i have no idea, I bought it 2 years ago for 11k it had 218 on it, we did alot of driving back and forth for hospital visits the first year, then basic mileage for most of this year. I did listen after it was warm and before and there is no ticking i can here..... I am debating keeping it and just letting the rear end be, there's new fluids in it....IDK ...hard to decide LOL!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
timeing chain and guides would be a concern in the future if they havent been done already.... climate control/blend door most fords seem to have this issue at some point in there lifetime... wheel bearings the higher the klms the more stuff just gets worn out... and lets face it stuff made today isnt made to last.... If I had a gasser truck that hit 200k id start looking to trade/sell it by 250k but with those miles on it it can be a hard sell
Is it true Disels last twice as long as gas motors, Or it that a wife's tale?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 PM

iv got 370,000 on my 5.4l in my 2000 expedtion

"CANT FORD IT DONT BUY IT"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM

The question you ask is really a $ dependent question. If you have the money for a newer ride then there is peace of mind that comes with that. You don't have a lot of money invested in this one yet.

If the body is in good shape and you are using it as a daily driver and are not overworking it, I suspect your are good for another 100k.

If you are mechanically inclined and are not scared off by the prospect of pulling the time plate off and upgrading some of the critical running gear, go for it. As for gears in the rear, it takes experience and presses to get that just right. I personally would leave that to a friend that works for a dealership and has done them before. Once you decided to do the gears, the rear wheel bearing and seals can be done at that time and then you know you have a tight rear drive that will out live the truck.

As for oil consumption, my 5.4L in my previous F150 took close to 7L of oil to fill the pan. I litre in 5k is not that bad, do you have seaping gaskets somewhere? If the oil pan is seaping then again, some mechanical apptitude can save you a lot of money.

Keeping your truck on the road can quickly become your hobby or your nightmare as others have described, there is no telling how your truck was treated or abused prior to your ownership. Risk is described as the potential for an undesirable outcome through action or inaction....how much are your willing to risk

ManFord
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manford View Post
The question you ask is really a $ dependent question. If you have the money for a newer ride then there is peace of mind that comes with that. You don't have a lot of money invested in this one yet.
Amen. Dump and run.

The last five years or so, I've seen $10k to $12k discounted off new truck prices on a regular basis.

Like you said, a lot depends on where the dollars and cents are versus how much bullshit ( aka "risk" ha ha ) you want to put up with.

Buy new, get reliability and warranty, or keep the old, no truck payment, and roll the dice as to when the next failure occurs.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Id still rather buy a 1yr old vehical then new.... save me 10plus grand driveing it off the lot... lol

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Garage
Good point Todd. That's like the best of both worlds...save more cash and get the reliability and warranty thrown for good measure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode