a little upgrade - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

a little upgrade

01 f150 , 5.4

truck's been ticking again for a while , most of the summer so it was time (long past due) to check the spark plugs

first I checked each by putting a mechanic's steathiscope to the top of each coil

the front most passenger side coil , I could actually hear the ticking coming from the coil

turns out that one was lose enough I could spin the extension and plug socket easilly in either direction - with quite a bit of turning before it snugged down again

- the other 3 plugs behind all also needed torqued tight again but at least it didn';t take a few turns of the plug first

so lesson learned - if I can hear it actually ticking it's probably ready to blow outta the head

some on the driver's side also needed tightening but not the one with the thread repair I had done 3 years ago

all the plugs were replaced 3 years ago when I had the one thread fixed - about 23 ooo km's ago

so , anyways ... while I had the truck torn into I installed a little upgrade I've had waiting in a box for a couple of years .. yeah I finally got a round to it

1 set MSD coils and one set granatelli coil to plug leads and boots

the coil leads use a solid length of steel cable instead of the flashlight battery springs usually found in the coil boots lol

and what a nice little reward for the effort

all my truck's ticking is gone
yippie

and , Idono if it's the coils or the coil leads but the betterment in driveabality and throttle responce cannot be denied

all I can say is before the coils and leads , even with the plugs tight and new back when the thread repair was done , the throttle responce was always slushie by comparison to how crisp the responce feels now

added benifit , now I have a full set of new coils ... all at the same time , not randomly replaced ones like I had
+ I have a new in the package spare msd coil in the glovebox in case I need it

before you bring up the subject of just replaceing the coils with ford ones I'm going to point out , that my truck has had about 14 of fords dammed coils installed in it - all but the last pair cost my father about 400 bucks and some change because the bill always got padded out like they tryed to do with me by sujesting the fuel injection service was due

arugh ... so anyways , ford's made more than a fair share from a problem they managed to design into their product then their dealers managed to milk that for even more

???????????

I am not going to continue to reward ford for building crap so no more ford coils go into the damed truck from now on

next up , I have another ignition upgrade

back when I bought my coil set I also hunted down a msd stacker 8 ignition box

basically your usual cd ignition and multy spark msd deal , but intended for use with coil pack or coil on plug motors
no rev limiter , not like you'ld need that with it in the ecu anyways
- aaand it's a perfect fit mounted on top of the lid for the under hood fuse / relay box & even still allows the lid to be raised & closed like normal

- it's been mounted on the box now for about a month and I see no rub mark on the under hood pad so I guess that clears too

got the box second hand , thank god (ebay) 'cause new they were 7-8 hun
coil set was expensive enough and so were the coil leads
(coil leads wre about $150 /60 - tink I gottem from jegs)

I think they make the coil leads for 4 valve motors too but maybe not the 3 valvers

I still have the box for the coil leads so I'll add the part number later
pics as always are in my album

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/album.php?albumid=563

blue boots seem more silicon-ie than the black ones that came with the msd coils
blue boots came with the granatelli coil leads

steel cable connection , no radio noise - if anyone thought to wonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 AM

Garage
Looking good, congrats on the new mods ! No substitute for regular maintenance and a little TLC.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

coil leads :

http://www.jegs.com/p/Granatelli/Gra...64428/10002/-1

ok , granted I put a set of msd coils on too when I installed these

BUT , I would recomend , after driving my truck for one week and two weekends since I did the work above buying these leads without reservation

I doubt the msd coils are entirely responceable for the better drive quality I'm experanceing now

in fact the difference , feels like it was always trying to spark through a set of flashlight battery springs

the truck feels like the coils are connected by steel winch cable sections

good sharp throttle responce , I can actually crack the throttle with much more authority than ever before

this is simply the best thing I've ever done for my truck save for swaping off the warped brake rotors

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

one thing to add regarding installation

I found I had a little trouble getting the lower terminals on some of the plugs as I pushed em down into the spark plug wells

the solution was dirt simple

install the lead onto the terminal on the coil , then remove and flip the lead over and install the opposite end onto the coil

it seems the terminals install onto the plugs much easier if they've been pre streached on the coil terminals first

oh , and these leads actually have terminal ends just like any regular plug wire found on any other older motor

considering how high voltage run through a wire can cause the wire to bounce around I can figure the spring style connectors might just be bounceing and buzzing around everytime the coils fire

which may well be why I'm feeling the difference I am now
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

K

I've read many places the ford stuff is as good as any or better

yeah , doncha ####### believe that ...

after this little swap in all I can say is I'm so freeking glad I did this - the truck drives better now with 325 000 KM's on it with the msd coils and granatelli coil leads than it ever did when brand new

for all the pump and praise the ford stuff keeps getting , Idono , brainwashing ??

must be 'cause the ford chit sucks bags of dog poo compared top these parts

no more feeling like the gas peddel is connected to a bungie cord - I get instant throttle snap NOW , every time I want it

I even got a little tire slip on dry pavement this morning - something my truck has never been able to do before unless there was a good bit of dust or grit on the road

- and yesterday in the rain ...

lol , yeah ... I'm going to have to be just a little more gentle starting away from a stop in the wet now as the tires break lose with zero effort now
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

wow
270 views and no comment

guess peps get lost when the stuff they've been told over and over turns out not to be true
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:41 PM

When the MSD ones crap out in a year or so and you go back to the OEs there will be lots of comments lol.

This winter/spring I am going to do the plugs and coils on the Lightning with OEM parts. There are trucks pushing 700 HP and still using OEM coils.

Nicole - 2004 Ford F-150 Lightning #3573
Emily - 2010 Ford F-150 FX4

Amsoil Independent Dealer
Amsoil Home Page
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:26 PM

Garage
Glad the aftermarket's giving you the results you need, bad run of luck that the Ford parts didn't do as well, doesn't mean they're any better or any worse, its just how your personal experience shook out.

Like Ryan suggested, probably just as many stories of guys returning to OEM as there are guys moving away from them.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

yeah
I don't think the coils are the improvement - more like the coil leads themselves

but regardless , no more ford coils as I said before
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
When the MSD ones crap out in a year or so and you go back to the OEs there will be lots of comments lol.

This winter/spring I am going to do the plugs and coils on the Lightning with OEM parts. There are trucks pushing 700 HP and still using OEM coils.
you might be doing yourself a favor trying those coil leads

I can't say strongly enough how much like it isn't connected by some gay little springs it feels now

I chit you not mang

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode