Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Have you changed the fuel filter since you owned your truck?

Changing your Fuel Filter....=Happy!!!

13K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Triton Pilot 
#1 · (Edited)
I got board today an decided to change my fuel filter and WOW! it was dirty...I suggest at least for the older trucks to do it or get it done asap if it's been a while or you don't know when it was last done, if ever.

So here is how I did it, very easy 10-15minutes once you have everything together

This is for my 99 F150, 97-03 is the same and other + years are probly very simmilar if not the same.

Start by getting your filter and the Tool (you NEED the special tool) I got mine from Napa. Make sure you get the rite tool cause the place I went first sold me a 4 in one(for air condition clamps too) and they all were too big, Napa had the right one. Just ask for the fuel filter tool for fords they will know, there's all kinds mine was the scissor ones.

Make sure you have safty glasses...it's a must for this job and no treble llights or anthing that could cause fires. If you need a light use small fllash light.

So let your truck cool completly. Then you have to relive the pressure from your fuel lines.

1. Pull you fuel pump fuse(fuse #10, fuse box that's under the hood , but make sure that it's the same for your truck in your owners manual, fuse for fuel pump only!)

2. Start the truck and let it die, mine spuddered for about 3 seconds,most of the fuel pressure is gone now.

3. Locate the fuel filter. Sould be on driverside in the frame rail a few inches from the gas tank towards the motor....hard to miss

4. Get somthing to catch the gas it makes a mess, I lost about 200ml by the time I was done. I just let it pour on the ground but others may care more then me...enviroment, cracks the driveway..........

5. PUT YOUR GLASSES ON, and don't work directly underneath the filter, work off to the side.

6. I sprayed the conectors real good with WD to get off the dirt and undercoating to help the tool fit properly.

7. Undo the safty clips from the clamps. push the bottom up then push towards the filter and let it dangle form the hose, no need to force it

8. Now the fun part. put the tool around the filter piece and push the coupling towards the fuel filter while pushing the tool into the coupling until the lip of the tool is in the coupling you kind of hear a click. then with the tool inside pull the coupling out. You may have to force a little but not too much.(no pic of the actual action, I was busy doing it)

The coupling closest to the tank is easy but the one towards the motor is a little harder. I got the tool in as good as I coud then used a pair on needle nose pliers to GENTLY pry between the tool and conector, poped off no problem.

Gas Will spill out with a small amount of pressure that is left, that's what the glasses are for, I never got any on my glasses but it can easly happen, trust me my buddy did it one time and it don't look fun. Have a rag on hand to whipe your hands too, gas is irratating on skin.

9. Pop the old filter from the bracket and put in the new one, make shure the outlet part with an arrow is pointing towards the motor snap the couplings back in the new filter (you will hear a click sound) and reuse the safety clamps that are hanging from the connectors.

10. I waited a good 20 minutes before inserting the fuse and starting it, just to let any gas/fumes evaporate.

It started just fine I let it idle for a few seconds then I put it at 1500 to 2000rpm for a minut or two to fill up the new filter. She sputtered lot's and wanted to completly stall a few times but it got better an better until it was perfect again, I never stalled it...like I said it only took one or two minutes to run normal again.

The gas in the old filter looked more like mud, so I cut it open to see and It was really really dirty!! It's not like I just got 10hp or anything but I do notice a difference (better response) with a clean filter and it's gotta help everything else work a little easier too.

The last pic......That's gas and dirt in the corner of the outlet outside the filter but inside the filter houseing, that's how dirty it was.....I don't know what color the filter is originaly but it was a very dark brown, like you see in the pic. the gas comming out of the outlet(to the motor) was brown too, the gas from the inlet(from the tank) was clear....OUCH!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh ya, if you get little plastic clamps with your new filter you wont need them, unless you see those exact clips on your filter. It's a universal filter, plastic clamps are for other vehicles, the F150's have the reusable metal safety clamps

It should aslo only cost less then 35$ taxes in, for the filter(15$) and tool(15$). I paid 26$ total cause the tool had been brought back by a gm guy that got the wrong tool, it was used but never used...

#6 ·
I don't know when it was last replaced and I waited way too long, it's up to 253k now, I think I will be changing that minimum once a year since it's will only cost 15$ next time. (I plan on getting a remanufactured engine in the near future, might go Bullet Series but that's another 3k added to the bill, but worth it, all Extreme Duty aftermarket engine parts.)Gotta take care of the rear diff first...

#10 ·
One of the first things i did when i got my truck was replace the fuel filter. We did the same on my friends truck. He just got a 94 F150, so we went through it and did a complete tune up. It took us about 2-3 hours of fighting with the filter to get it off, and when we poured out the gas that was left in the filter it honest to god looked black. He said the truck runs 100x better after our tune up.

#11 ·
Wow, Im impressed. I know what my next project is now... I have no idea how old my fuel filter is, but I guess Im gonna change it anyways now....

#12 ·
so it was sunday when i read this and it seemed like a great idea,, so i went to canadian tire and got a filter,,, and,, they didnt have the tool to change it,, haha,, and all the parts stores were closed on sundays,,, haha,, so i havent gotten to do it,, my mechanic owes me some favors,, maybe i will just get him to do it, haha

#13 ·
Thanks for the tips, you instructions were very helpfull I presently own two 1992 F-150's. My first one is a reg.cab with a 4.9L 5 speed and my latest is a 4x4,extended cab flare side with a 5L which I am about to get on the road. Your instruction will be very helpfull to me.

#15 ·
just wanted to say thanks for this post. i ain't no mechanic, but thanks to this post i can add changing my fuel filter to my list of things i can do. i got the tool at part source. they tried to sell me some other tool, but i remembered the "scissor" looking one and got it. canadian tire didn't have it. don't have the owners manual, but thankfully i also have a 99 so it was the same fuse. then i had to cut open yhe filter to see what it looked like and yep.. it looked the same as the one in the picture.. haha.

#18 ·
I thought i'de bring this thread back from the dead...did mine last night..1st one and 43000km on the truck...didn't need the tool for the back clip, just a screwdriver to lift up the lock clip..the front line was a biotch...not much room and mud inside where the tool goes. Lots of swearing and a little flushing did the trick.:icon_biggrin: I was surprised at how clean the filter looked when i cut it open with a cutoff saw.nothing like Gab's :icon_eek:.I know, i know..residue gas and sparks aren't a good combo. I soaked some towels and covered the filter with them while i cut..Didn't take any pics of changing or the cut open. The next change should go easier. Glad i didn't have to pay a garage for something i can do myself..Filter was 31 bucks at Ford:icon_mad: Crappy Tire had them for 22 bucks.

#19 ·
Did mine today..... tool cost me 15 bucks and the filter cost 20! Lets just say my filter was peeeerrrrtyyyy narsty when i opened it up..... never seen black gas before lol

#20 ·
Bought the twisty turny (for lack of a tech term) kind from Princess of Auto.Did the job well .Second time around I used a clear garbage bag to reduce the gas spray.It's a help to ramp up front and back on driver's side to let full figured fossils like me slide into position to work under there...ogre

#21 ·
is it just me or does it appear as something so simple, cheap and important as a fuel filtre gets neglected just because its out of sight? i change mine on both of my trucks annually or every fourth or so oil change. after the origional filtre is removed, usually after 10 or so years on the truck lol, it will only take a couple of minutes to change.

#22 ·
out of sight and some people have no clue there even is a filter.... I change mine every 40,000klms and its a royal pain in the ass to get at (diesel)

#23 ·
Everyone's got their own version of a maintenance schedule for their truck...pretty much gotta do what helps you sleep at night.

Some folks will change them regular, some will change them when this thread gets a new post ( every two years or so), and some will never bother. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.