Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Would like some ideas

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ml878us 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 F150 xtr. My Boyfriend already did the exhaust and intake, he also put an edge evolution chip in it. I love my truck, but I'm getting a lil bored with the way it looks. Could ya please take a look at my pics and give me some ideas. I know the basics of what I want, I just don't know the specifics of the parts and where to get them. I would like advice on headlights, tail lights, grills, handles, nurf bars and possibly a lift if anyone thinks it might look good. I'd like to see a pic of a truck like mine done up. Oh and I can't forget rims and tires.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, my bf only wants it to run good, not look good LOL

#4 ·
Well I see you're located in Rocky Mtn House. Check out Canada Custom Vehicles in Red Deer on Gasoline Alley next to Festival Ford. I know they stock pretty much everything from lights to suspension parts to wheels and tires. Ebay is also a great place to get lights from I've order tons of stuff of ebay for my last 2 trucks so you could start there. Suspension wise though I'd stick with a local place.

#6 ·
Well first you have to decide what you want and go from there, for lights you could get some Ford Lightning or Harley lights, used or new replicas from E bay, lot's of tail lights there too or you could just spray them with nightshades or have a body shop spray them to tint them with some black paint/ clear coat mixture, lots of grilles on E bay too, for Nerf bars I have westin chrome stainless steel, I have seen some buy a company called U Guard that looked nice as well, and for a lift you have to decide how high you want to go you can turn up the torsion bars in the front and add a AAL (add a leaf) in the rear to gain a couple inches or put in a 3" body lift or but in a 6" suspension or combine the suspension and body lift together like I did, RCD and Fabtech make good lift kits for the '97- '03 body styles, don't forget to decide what tire size you want as well, just get an idea what you want to do with it and you can decide from there

Heres my truck 6" suspension, 3" body lift on 35/12.50/17's

#8 ·
Andertr, I'd start with a window tint - very few things you can do under a hundred bucks will change the look of a truck the way tint does.
Next, I'd probably look at changing out the grille for either a different style OEM or a billet (if you like the look of billet) Right now, your truck looks like just about every other Ford out there; change the grille to make it unique.
Along with the grille, you could get some aftermarket lights, there's tons of APC taillights on eBay that will really wake it up. If you're into it, you could do the headlights too, maybe projector style or something similar.
If you've got the budget, aftermarket wheels will also make your truck unique from the rest of the stockers.
Just be prepared, once you start it can be hard to stop!

#12 ·
Dunno how your interior is, but mine is already (2 weeks into having it) getting beyond cluttered with gadgets.....cell phone holder, Tom-Tom, Bluetooth handfree, Wireless MP3 transmitter, MP3 player charger, a couple of remotes for stereo components (yeh, remotes in a standard cab pickup <grin>)....I have flown simpler aircraft :icon_biggrin: Add to that an appalling lack of storage compartments in a standard cab :icon_cry:

So, my next project is to build a custom console out of sheet metal, PVC pipe and fiberglass, covered with upholstery for a decent interior match. It will have at least a dozen hidden plug-in power sockets, places/spots for all the gizmos, a couple extra cupholders, and run between the front of the seat and the console on the lower portion, then arch up and have an urmrest section on the seat, with hinged lid, cupholders, and specific orginizer compartments so I am not digging thru one big pile of junk to find a pen or a lighter when I need one.

The basic shell/frame will be pop-riveted and welded sheet metal (AKA known as common duct work sheet, dirt cheap) and the curved edges/corners will be a mix of PVC and resin-impregnated cardboard tube, riveted in place. The whole thing will be covered in 1/4" of upholstory foam with glass smoothing in any needed areas, then a mix of carpet and vynal for a covering. (If you are not comfortable with metalwork, 1/4" plywood wiould work just as well)

I have done similar project to some of my cars in the past, and the advantage of mixed materials over straight fiberglass is lower cost, and there is no need for a mold as the entire thing is self-supporting as it is built. The disadvantages are weight (its a ton heavier than straight glass) and it does tend to look like crap internally--but that is hidden and nobody ever sees it anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.