Bypass/overide for highbeam/foglights ?? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Question Bypass/overide for highbeam/foglights ??

Does anyone know of a bypass or overide to eliminate the highbeam/foglight cancellation on a '99 F150 Lariat ??

Thanks,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 AM

If I understand you properly you want to be able to have your highs on with your fogs at the same time?

I'm pretty sure I've seen this issue answered on another forum. From what I remember you have to modify something inside the headlight switch.

I'll try to dig it up.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
I had this done on my 00' F150, my buddy wired it up for me so that didn't require modification to the headlight switch. He connected the foglights to the highbeam trigger on the headlight bulb using a relay so that when I turned on the highbeams power was still supplied to the foglights. I have this done on my 05' FX4 as well. SUPER BRIGHT.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Search out the Bambi Mod. i've seen how to do this on the 04-08 series on another forum, not sure if the 97-03 is similar.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 AM

I checked on the Bambi mod and so far have not found one for the 97-03s. Only thing I could find was this thread.

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how...s/foglamps.htm

But from what I read it doesn't say if this will allow the Highs with the Fogs.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses guys...... I'll take a look at the link and see what there is to see, and do some more searching.

Was kinda hoping for an aftermarket add on/in but I guess I've got some reading to do, lol....

-Greg
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM

I'm just wondering about the concept of having both hi and lo beams on at the same time? Don't the lo beams shut off for a reason? I mean, sure, it's going to be brighter, but does that actually help you see better? If you're driving fast enough to need to use the hi beams (so you can see further), then what difference does it make seeing stuff closer to the front of the truck? At those speeds, if something is so close that you'd only see it in the lo beam area, I wouldn't think you'd be able to hit the brakes in time anyway, and wouldn't that extra bright area sort of blind you to the dimmer light of your hi beams further ahead, where you actually would have a chance of stopping or avoiding an obstacle?

Does that make any sense, or maybe I just don't get how it works?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I think you misunderstand, and its has nothing to do with higher rates of speed.

I'm asking about modifying to have the High beams AND factory "fog lights" on at the same time.

I live in the boonies where deer, fox, and coyotes are rampant, and any street lighting non existent, so its quite a difference in overall viewing of the roadway when the fog lights cancel out if you choose to operate the high beams which in turn unnecessarily restrict having an overall brighter view when needed or desired.

Hope that makes sense.... I just got back from surgery today and am still a bit groggy.

-Greg
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 AM

I read on another forum, someone had a friend wire up the fog light power to the high beam power on the headlight in order to use them when the highs are on. Sorry they didn't give any more details.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by f150phule View Post
I read on another forum, someone had a friend wire up the fog light power to the high beam power on the headlight in order to use them when the highs are on. Sorry they didn't give any more details.
That's exactly what I did. I have no idea what my buddy did but I trusted him cause he's an electrician. Took him 10 minutes, hardest part was putting the darn headlight back in place. One of the best mods I've done. I was out snow wheelin' tonight and man does it make a difference.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode