Happy New Year to all and a quick fix tip for a seized ac compressor - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Happy New Year to all and a quick fix tip for a seized ac compressor

I recently had the ac compressor seize up on my 99 4.6 4x4 scab and it wouldn't even allow the engine to crank over. There are bypass pulleys you can buy to take the place of the compressor but you still have to pull the thing off of the motor to install the new piece and the cost in Canada is $150+ as compared to about $30 in the US. I looked at the way the serp belt is routed for the ac/non-ac versions and a different tensioner is used for the non-ac version...it pulls the other way

Last week I did the fix to my truck and it was too easy. The belt needed to be shorter and I swapped the idler pulley for one the same size but ribbed since the belt now runs over it instead of under it. The end result works so well that I can't figure why Ford went to the trouble of designing the AC/non-AC setups so differently. The ac version tensioner keeps the belt nice and tight. Here are the Gates/Carquest part #'s needed to do the job.

Belt...#K080806 8 rib/81 1/8" long

Idler Pulley...#38052 8 rib/90mm dia.

The parts can be looked up here...
http://www.gates.com/index.cfm?location_id=3359
for all the details.

I hope this helps anyone else who encounters this all too common problem in the future. The fix is inexpensive and only takes a minute or two to swap the pulley then just change the belt bypassing the compressor and putting it over the idler instead of under it. This saves having to spend way too much $$$ on the bypass pulley as well as removing an ac compressor while laying in the snow! Back on the road again

J.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Good one!

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode