Ford installed tonneau? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Talking Ford installed tonneau?

Well, I've placed my order (finally)... Lariat 4x4 .... scheduled to be delivered in 7 weeks. Now I have time to think about accessories. I want to include/upfit it with a hard tonneau. My dealer has said they can install a flip tonneau but I'm not sure what they provide. Ideally, I want on like the BAK Flip which flips all the way up at the end.

Does anyone have the Ford installed one? Likes/dislikes?

Thanks,

Hal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Garage
I've got the Ford Custom Accessories flip hard tonneau...no complaints here.

Pretty handy to flip the panels, and the last panel rests against the back window, with a prop rod on each side to hold it in place, anchored in place by a slider and retaining knob.

Not really familiar with the other brands out there, but I'm usually pretty happy with the Ford branded stuff, whether it's the Custom Accessories line or FRPP.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 PM

I also have the Ford hard folding tonneau cover and I like it. It is fairly water proof (I've only had a few drops of water get in around the tailgate) and sturdy. The only problem I've had is that the rubber seals tend to freeze to the siderails/tailgate in the winter making it difficult to open the cover. The Ford cover is actually made by Bakflip and is just re-badged with a Ford logo. I paid $900 plus tax for mine from the dealer so make sure you haggle with them on the price if they want more. By the way, that price was just for the cover as I installed it myself. Installation is fairly easy so it's something you may want to consider doing it yourself. My only advice is if you are going to get the Ford one get it installed by your dealer and included on the original sales agreement for your truck because it will then be covered by your 3 year/60000km comprehensive (bumper-to-bumper) warranty.

With that being said, the Ford version (unless it has been updated) in the older version of the Bakflip HD which was made with aluminum panels. The newer Bakflip covers are made with fiberglass panels and have a newly designed seal around the tailgate. Overall I would price the various Bakflip covers from a few truck accessory stores and compare it with the price your dealer gives you for the Ford one, consider the benefit/value of a 3 year warranty on the Ford branded cover, and then make your decision. Either way (Ford or aftermarket) the Bakflip is a great cover.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
I have a tri-fecta cover sure it's not the hard cover but I love it and for $300 compared to what FORD wants, well I'm not gonna complain. It's water tight also in a driving down pour not 1 drop got in. But everyone has there say what they like don't like but in the end it's your choice and your money, shop around to see whats out there .

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 AM

I've got the 3 panel Ford hard top flip and absolutely love it. I had a roll"n"lock on my Dakota and hated it. It froze shut or open when November came around. Like Scotts said you get just a tiny bit of water just at the corners of the box. I also love the rubber bedmat they put in cuz your case of beer doesn't move an inch when yur drivin lol !!

2011 F-150 XTR Ecoboost
2002 Dakota Quad cab sport-traded
1991 Jeep Cammanche Pioneer-sold
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 PM

I also have the ford (bakflip) they installed it. Great tonneau cover and for me by fare the one that will look the best on your truck! Here are the 2 best pic I have to give you and idee.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:13 AM

i know some hydro one guys who have a rollup hard covers and they leak like crazy they have no say as there company trucks but havent heard good reviews in that way

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
i know some hydro one guys who have a rollup hard covers and they leak like crazy they have no say as there company trucks but havent heard good reviews in that way
Mine never leaked at all. It just didn't open or close when the temps went below zero. I didn't have access to my box all winter last year because I had left it shut when the first freezing weather came. I couldn't even open the tailgate as the latches attached to the tailgate when shut.

2011 F-150 XTR Ecoboost
2002 Dakota Quad cab sport-traded
1991 Jeep Cammanche Pioneer-sold
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thanks for that... that looks awesome! I think I'm sold on it and will have the dealer install it. I like the idea of it being included in the warranty. Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6michaud View Post
I also have the ford (bakflip) they installed it. Great tonneau cover and for me by fare the one that will look the best on your truck! Here are the 2 best pic I have to give you and idee.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Just make sure you have the dealer install it BEFORE you take delivery and have it included on the original sales agreement. I bought mine a week after I got the truck and even if I would have had the dealer install it I would have only received the basic 12 month warranty for accessories.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode