Left Front Speaker Issues - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Left Front Speaker Issues

For the past couple of weeks I have noticed my front left speaker sometimes cuts-out. At first I thought it could be to do with the speed compensation setting on the stereo, so I switched that off.

I played with the balance and fade, checking each speaker independently and the only one affected is the front left.

What is baffling is that it does it sporadically, usually within the first 20-30kms of a journey and if you touch the volume it returns.

My ride is a 2010 F150 S'crew XLT built at Dearbourn Aug 2010 with factory std stereo & speakers.

Having googled it, I have found a number of cases in the US with similar problems on the 2010 front left speaker, but no real resolution was found.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I am in warranty but not due for a service until March. The problem is minor so I really do not want to drop it back with the dealer for them to tell me they cannot replicate it and have to leave it with them for a few days, but I will mention it for the March 2012 service and see what they think.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Apprentice

Go to the dealer and document it. Then when being serviced get them to fix then.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Truck went in for its service and I mentioned the left front speaker issue, they called a few hours later telling me that they had their audio tech and electrical tech look at it, but couldnt find a problem, sure enough, I picked it up as they closed and within 5 mins of driving it cut out again!!

I went back but the service dept had closed.

Looks like I am back there on Saturday morning and will have to prove it to them that there is a fault, I am not sure what they tried to do, but it cuts out easily enough and if very obvious if you put the balace to the left and fade to the front....no sound, start to move the fade and or balance back to the mid point and you get sound!

I have printed off hundreds of similar problems I have found on other F150 forums relating to the left front speaker with solutions as changing the wireing harness to water getting into the door area where the speaker is mounted. According to my dealer, there is no current issue raised with Ford.

I hate these niggly little problems.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Have them replace it...if it's intermittent, they should just take your word for it and not have to reproduce the issue. Why would you lie about a speaker cutting out?

My front right side one was doing the same thing. It took about a week to order the speaker in.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedThunder View Post
Have them replace it...if it's intermittent, they should just take your word for it and not have to reproduce the issue. Why would you lie about a speaker cutting out?

My front right side one was doing the same thing. It took about a week to order the speaker in.
When I asked the same thing they told me that they would have to send the faulty part back to Ford who would charge them if they could find no fault with it. The dealer would then, in turn charge me!!

From the research I have done, it seems a more common problem than the dealer wants to believe, but nobody has found the exact problem, I have seen reports of one or more of the radio, speaker, a controller and wiring harness being swapped out, which fixed the problems for other complainants. I have cleared the day tomorrow so will visit and annoy the service manager until he sorts out the issue.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Dude...go to a different dealer. That's BS. Mine did not hesitate to replace it.

Even with the wife's car...2011 Chevy HHR...the window motor on the rear passenger side was intermittently failing to work. The dealer was not able to reproduce the issue when I brought it in, but they ordered the part anyway.

Go to a different dealer.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Good day,

I also have a 2010 SCrew (build June/10) that had the left front speaker intermittently cutting out. Took a few visits where they checked/reseated all connections but the speaker was replaced at the dealer last fall. Worked flawlessly through winter and spring. Once the warmer weather showed up, both front speakers now cut out intermittently, sometimes left only, sometimes right only, sometimes both, sometimes both quickly alternating so that I get the psychedelic effect! Makes no difference if I'm listening to Sirius or AM/FM. As with everybody else, a quick volume up/down makes them come back. I plan to bring it to dealer... hoping for a permanent fix!

Ed
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Don't be afraid to get pushy with them...don't let them tell you that there's nothing that can be done.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM

Garage
Don't forget to threaten to inform Ford Canada, write disgruntled letters and make ignorant phone calls, not to mention exposing them on internet forums and telling all your friends.

Should fix things right up.

Sorry to hear about your issues, hopefully you'll get it all straightened out. Give a quick update when and if you hear anything.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boivin View Post
Good day,

I also have a 2010 SCrew (build June/10) that had the left front speaker intermittently cutting out. Took a few visits where they checked/reseated all connections but the speaker was replaced at the dealer last fall. Worked flawlessly through winter and spring. Once the warmer weather showed up, both front speakers now cut out intermittently, sometimes left only, sometimes right only, sometimes both, sometimes both quickly alternating so that I get the psychedelic effect! Makes no difference if I'm listening to Sirius or AM/FM. As with everybody else, a quick volume up/down makes them come back. I plan to bring it to dealer... hoping for a permanent fix!

Ed
Maybe the problem is the radio not the speakers

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode