broken windshield?? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

broken windshield??

sitting at crappy tire gas bar pumping gas today, and away she went. .Went right from the passenger side below the wiper, up about 6 inches and went all the way across to the drivers side. Went right to the dealership and thay said thay have seen this before? Not covered under my aftermarket warranty, so looks like I'm out 400 buck...lol The weird thing is this has never happened to me before? had a couple windshield fail due to repeated exposure to too much bass (LOL) but just sitting there? My guess has got to be improper install from the factory, but i'm no expert so I'm chalkin it up to bad luck...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 PM

Did you have a rock chip that wasn't fixed?

A big change in temperature (eg. turning the defrost on full) can turn a rock chip into a big crack. That had happened to me in Nov/Dec 2011.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick98gtp View Post
sitting at crappy tire gas bar pumping gas today, and away she went. .Went right from the passenger side below the wiper, up about 6 inches and went all the way across to the drivers side. Went right to the dealership and thay said thay have seen this before? Not covered under my aftermarket warranty, so looks like I'm out 400 buck...lol The weird thing is this has never happened to me before? had a couple windshield fail due to repeated exposure to too much bass (LOL) but just sitting there? My guess has got to be improper install from the factory, but i'm no expert so I'm chalkin it up to bad luck...lol
If there wasn't any impact damage (rock chip etc) I would fight it. have them replace it if your truck is still under bumper to bumper 3yr/60k warranty

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

not a mark on the thing. no sign of chip or anything, starts down in the bottom window seal goes up a few inches and alllllllllllllllll the way across. and the original warranty just ended, so S.O.L...lol
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
I've have several do that, extreme temperature difference causes the two layers of glass and inside layer of bonding plastic to expand at different rates and therefore crack. Usually -20*c outside and hot air being blown on the glass inside. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM

Fact of life here in Alberta. If the rock chips don't get you the heat on a cold windshield will. I don't think we can even get glass insurance here now. New windshield every year. Neat to watch them go from one side to the other!

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM

if you do replace it watch out for cheap china glass.... its on the market here now and does not last near as long nore can it take the punishment.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Apprentice

my '09 did the same thing..no rock chip....I was on a vacation down south...went through a car wash...and it cracked below the drivers wiper blade...now has extended all the way across the bottom of the windshield to the passenger side....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM

My father had a 96 Lincoln Town car and it cracked two windshields on its own. I think the body shop had to give it a slight pull because there wasn't enough clearance from the factory. He had the car for a few years and after the fix he never replaced another one.

2016 XLT Sport Screw 5.0
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Forum Newbie

I have a 2013 F150 that I bought in January.

The windshield cracked twice. In both cases from the bottom of the windshield.

I've seen a lot of rock chips in a lot of windshield and had a lot of them fixed for a lot of cars. Each and every time the rock chips were clearly visible and pretty darn nasty. None of the rock chips ever caused a crack before I was able to get it fixed.

Living in Alberta rock chips are probably the biggest winter road hazard after snow.

In my case, there was no rock chip on the F150. It seems that there are a lot of complaints about this issue. The windshield just cracks. You check it and there's no apparent reason for the crack.

I guess Ford Tough means not so tough.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode