Review: Roush Intake for Ecoboost - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Review: Roush Intake for Ecoboost

After some careful research and thinking, I decided to go with the new intake for the Ecoboost from Roush.

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2012.html

I was seriously considering the very nice looking Injen, but the Roush offered more immediate advantages. The dealership I use (Eastgate) is an authorized Roush dealer and ensured me that if I were to buy this intake through them that is would be fully covered under warranty and that I would not have any issues. This was my first and foremost concern as I paid for an extended warranty and I didn't want to screw that up before the factory warranty even expired.

My goals were for some extra performance and improved fuel economy. So far, there's not much registering on the butt dyno...but the weather has been crap since Friday and I haven't really got a chance to try it out. There does appear to be a slight improvement in mid-range acceleration, but not much difference in throttle response off the line.

So far, what I do like is the intake is fairly quiet. Because I know it's there, I can hear some increase in noise, but quiet enough that the wife shouldn't notice Where I'm a bit leary is "quiet" may mean inefficient or not effective. I remember having an intake on a Nissan Maxima and that thing howled!! You could almost swear the car had an exhaust on it when you hammered the pedal. Of course the Ecoboost is different in the sense that it has a lot of extra plumbing between the filter and the throttle body due to the turbos and intercooler.

It's too soon to tell about any gas mileage improvements. I'll have to get through a couple tanks of gas first and report back on that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 PM

Garage
Nice looking piece....I'm going to assume since you didn't mention it that there's no handheld tuner required ?

Smart idea to get the dealers input up front, but there's always the question as to whether they're talking about a Roush warranty on the installed CAI, as opposed to the Ford drivetrain warranty.

Devils advocate here, but IMO this does give them an out down the road if there are issues, no matter what they say up front.

That's another whole can of worms though, I suppose they'd have to prove the CAI was the cause of whatever problem came up.

Nice mod, post some pics, good review.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Definately a fair question. He said that all Roush products are formally approved for Ford (his words), that it would not void any factory warranty if purchased and installed by the dealer. Eastgate also sells modified trucks as factory new (like Blackstock Ford), and those are fully factory warrantied as well.

Hopefully I'll get a shot of it installed soon...before it gets all dirty.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Garage
Sounds like you did your homework and made a smart buy - interesting to see your CAI also fits the 6.2L in the Super Duty. Hmmmm. lol

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM

i wouldnt worry to much about an intake. but here some stories ive gathered over the years of Ford trucks
i don't know what its like out east. but here every single truck drives off the lot modified with intake, exhaust, minimum in Alberta.

ive heard a few different times of a dealer saying ya we warranty blah blah part if bought and installed here. sure they have no problem on the little things. but when something major happens and they have the ford warranty guy come its a whole different story.

I.ve even heard they will void warranty even if the mod was removed before bringing truck to dealer. if they think it was modded then demoded. Like in the lightning world if you changed the tune via tuner and go back to stock it leaves a note in the computer tunes where changed and boom VOID

also seen stuff like guy from ft.mac drives to Edmonton buys truck with mods. Lift/tires exhaust from ford. drive back to fort mac months later breaks drive shaft and take it to ft. mac dealer where they say no drive train warranty cause lift was to big. which cause to must strain with the angle of drive shaft. blah blah. NO MORE WARRANTY AT ALL.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

haha...remember, you only ever here about the bad stories.

That sounds like an extreme case and I have heard of similiar (but not exact) stories here. Unfortunately then it becomes a legal battle. With something as simple as an intake, I don't foresee any issues regardless. I've had intake mods on every one of my vehicles in the past and never ran into an issue with functionality....I'll still sleep at night, put it that way.

As for the compatibility...the intake fits the 3.5L, 3.7L and 6.2L...the housing is the same, it's just the extension tube that varies from what I understand depending on the vehicles. For example:

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2012.html

Roush also has an exhaust coming out for the Ecoboost. They have a video on their website, but the audio is crap. I'm still on the fence about having a more open exhaust on a V6 engine...a V8 with an exhaust sounds awesome, but a V6 will never have a nice deep bass tone. I like the idea of performance, and hearing a bit more of the turbos sound though. But alas...I'm broke now.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 AM

my wife worked at the ford dealership and those are extreme cases.
as i said for an intake i wouldn't worry.
just don't believe what the parts guy says all he wants is the sale.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

haha...I hear ya.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Okay...it's still early to be 100% conclusive on this, but I'm already seeing an improvement in the fuel consumption. I filled up last night and reset my mileage meter on the dash. I noticed that I was getting the same L/100KM doing 100km/h that I normally get doing about 90km/h. So it seemed like an improvement, but I dismissed it as maybe the wind was pushing the truck in the right direction, or something like that. But now this morning, from Hamilton to Burlington, I managed to get the best mileage I've got to date...it was actually 11.8L/100KM, but by the time I took a pic, the truck was idling for a bit, so it knocked it up a notch. Still, the best I've ever got doing the same trip has been 12.2L/100KM.

Still continuing to monitor, but I'm impressed so far.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
nice..
I'm testing my tonneau cover mpg improvements...
drove to work and back today. 110kms there and back.
401. woodstock <-> cambridge. 110kms/hr.

got home. sitting at about 12.6L/100kms
have been sitting roughly 13.3L/100kms
will see how it goes over the next bit. as the truck only has 2500kms on it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode