3rd brake light leak fix - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

3rd brake light leak fix

Hey guys. Well, I had my brake light replaced a few months ago due to the commonly know leakage issue. The dealer installed a new one which was the new redesigned version from Ford with the thicker gasket. Everything has been fine until the last little while when I've started to notice water behind the lens again.

So, I decided to fix it myself this time before it leaks into the cab as Ford clearly doesn't know what the hell they're doing with this light and the leaking problem.

I documented it with some photos in case this might help others. I didn't apply silicone to the actual gasket, but rather I applied a small bead around the top and sides of the lens along with beefing up the gasket with more gasket material. I believe this is the best way to seal the light as it prevents any water from getting behind the lens in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 AM

good writeup!! Tinted mine the day after I got it, had no idea this happens!! gonna have to have a look to avoid any problems down the road, Thanks!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Garage
Good writeup, great pics, but I'd be looking at other options for the silicone....guess no one will see it on the roofline, and it serves the purpose, but looks like ass.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Excellent write-up! Great pictorial! I haven't noticed the dirt, but did notice the moisture around the third brake light in the late fall season that would accumulate around the edges when I washed the truck. I will definately use your advice to fix it.

Probably related, I notice a similiar dirt/water penetration around the edges of the headlights. I had purposed planned on waiting out the winter to see how they made out and then discuss this with the dealer at that point...basically wanted it to get worse to emphasize the issue. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can take some pics.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Good writeup. Just may cure the problem. I think your clear silicone will probably turn yellow from the sun and heat. Maybe a black gasket maker would stand up better.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing...a thin line of black sealant. Clear stuff always yellows over time. But the concept of uses a sealant I think is a good idea.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Garage
Why not just put a thin bead of sealant on the gasket face, or maybe even use the existing gasket as a template and cut out a rubber gasket to use similar to the rubber washer on the screws ?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode