A noob Question? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

A noob Question?

Hey guys. I see alot of people talking about "tunes". Im new to this so can someone tell me what they are and how they benefit my truck.
Thanks.

What do you do when you're knee deep in mud...get back in your truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
the tune is many factors in how your truck operates.,
the air/fue ratiol, and spark timing. shift points, rev limiter, how soon to shift, shift pressure..

the way I explain it is. ford has tuned the truck your all the uses and needs of the customer
. a programmer or tuner is a device that can adjust the settings or tune of the truck yup be more specific to the customers needs. rather then everyones.

I have a super chips programmer from my last truck. there is different settings I can choose from.
87 mileage- optimized for 87 octane. geared more for fuel economy. not allowed to tow with it.
87 performance-.optimized for 87 octane, performance. firmer shifts. won't shift a soon as mileage. no towing above 2000 lbs
91 performance - optimized for 91 octane, performance, tighter advanced timing, shifting, firmness increased over mileage tube, same as 87 performance tune. no towing above 2000lbs
87 Towing - optimized for 87 octane. modified shift pattern and shift pressures., best towing large loads.

so you see it just makes the vehicle more specific for the drivers needs. pending on your needs at the time you can change it, and revert back to stock when truck has to go into ford for service.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I assume that you can switch tunes on the spot, whenever needed.
What can I expect to pay for a "toy" like that?

What do you do when you're knee deep in mud...get back in your truck

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Garage
A lot of times, the need for a tuner can be linked to changing parts that effect how the vehicle runs.

Best example, and one of the most basic mods, is the addition of a Cold Air Intake, which allows more air to enter into the engine for combustion.

More air with the same amount of fuel means a lean mixture, which is not good for the engine.

A tuner will compensate for that by altering the factory setting and call for more fuel, with the end result of a small gain in horsepower.

I had an XCAL II with three custom tunes packaged in with a CAI for my Mustang, and I think the damage was somewhere in the neighbourhood of $1000...but that was six years ago.

The tuner itself as a stand alone would probably be at least $600.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode