NEED HELP: Need some advice - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Need some advice

Hi, I'm about to order a Lariat supercrew with the off road package. The first issue I have is that of color. I'm torn between the Stirling grey or the pale adobe. I am going to be putting a leer cap on the truck that is level with the cab. Any advice? Suggestions?
My next question is about the engine. I know this has been gone over a thousand times. With the incentives at my dealership right now, its going to cost me $1750 extra for the ecoboost over the 5.0. Where I live, gas is very expensive. Probably the highest in Canada. And we have the some of the harshest winters. Loads of snow and very cold temps from Dec to April. So that means lots of driving in 4wd and lots of idling/warm up time. Commutes to work are also short. I might be wrong in my thinking but a v6 warming up in the driveway will burn less gas then a v8. The eco doesn't achieve v8 fuel economy until the turbos are spooled up. Plus we all might be grateful for that extra 1 mpg of the ecoboost when the price of gas goes to $2/liter. I plan on keeping the truck for a nice while, so i'm concerned about the reliability and cost of parts when the warranty is over. Any comments or questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Garage
Welcome to fordtough.ca, great crew on here and lots of helpful info/advice to be found.

Just an observation, but if you're that concerned about gas mileage and the price of gas,and it weighs that heavy on your decision...... a full size Supercrew 4x4 pickup might not be your best choice of vehicle.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Trucks and gas savings not good combo!! I have the 5.0 and getting 13L/100km, but I drive it hard! Other thing is if truck dosn't come with rear view camera think about getting it! I have it and love it, backing up in parking lot I can see how close I am to other cars!

2012 XLT F150 (Sterling Grey)
Tonneau Cover, 15% Tint, 6" Rough Country Lift, 18" Helo 6 Wheels(chrome), 35" Toyo Open Country A/T's, SuperChip, Rear Wheel well Liners, Hood Shield,
Window Visors, Fender Flares

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Forum Newbie

5.0L, 13L/100KM? i could only achieve that on the highways.

so, my understanding is, ecoboost is well enough for the daily drive, unless you really tow alot where V8 is more reliable. For daily commute, ecoboost is more suitable, low rpm higher torque give you better startup feelings after waiting the red lights.

Fuel Economy? the math is.....for every 100 km you could save 1L of gas in the city, or 2-3L during high way, so for the 1750 extra money, assuming the gas price is $2L, you may have to drive over 1750/2*100=87500 km to get the money back in the city,well the lower gas price the more mileage you have drive. so, it's your call.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Apprentice

One vote for Sterling Grey. I love it on my FX4 ! Looks classy , and hides the dirt.

2011 F150 Supercrew FX4
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzy19880801 View Post
5.0L, 13L/100KM? i could only achieve that on the highways.

so, my understanding is, ecoboost is well enough for the daily drive, unless you really tow alot where V8 is more reliable. For daily commute, ecoboost is more suitable, low rpm higher torque give you better startup feelings after waiting the red lights.

Fuel Economy? the math is.....for every 100 km you could save 1L of gas in the city, or 2-3L during high way, so for the 1750 extra money, assuming the gas price is $2L, you may have to drive over 1750/2*100=87500 km to get the money back in the city,well the lower gas price the more mileage you have drive. so, it's your call.
I think you'll find that between the 5 litre and the EB the EB is the towing motor - has a better curve than the 5 litre.

Both are fine motors but I get the impression that, rightly or wrongly, a lot of people are saying their EBs aren't making great mileage in the real world - once they spool up you're using more fuel.

For a daily driver to be kept for many years I'd get the 5 litre.

If I was towing a lot I'd get the EB.

Five hundred K road trip last weekend mostly on the 401 at 130 kph my 2010 SCab 2WD XLT 4.6 made 11/100 for fuel. It would do 10/100 if I went slower. Round the west end as a DD it makes 16-17/100 depending how I drive it. You can only drive so slow in traffic before people run into you so you kinda have to balance that against saving fuel - I'd rather burn more fuel than have some tard in crapped out corolla rear end my truck.

Which brings me to cars. If you're big on fuel then maybe a truck isn't the vehicle for you but those little cockroach cars that people all drive now - they are soul destroying devices - you do not want to be in one of those - ever.

My advice is to drive whatever vehicle you like right now because life is short and some day you're gonna be dead for a real long time.

Might cost me a bit more for fuel but every time I get into this vehicle I feel good and that's worth a lot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode