NEED HELP: New truck ordered - need some advice - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

New truck ordered - need some advice

Hi, I have a new Lariat in sterling grey ordered with the off road package.
It comes with Wrangler AT/S LT's - load range "c". The salesman said if i didn't like that choice of tire, the dealer would buy them from me and I could use it towards a new set. Where I live, you have to travel poor dirt roads with lots of washboard and potholes. In spring it can be pretty muddy too. We also gets lots of snow and ice from December to April. I was hoping to get a severe snow rated LT tire that I can leave on all year. I barley tow or put big loads in the bed. Most people here put LT tires on their trucks for the resistance to flats going out of town on vacation. Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM

Garage
Glad to see you worked out the gas mileage quandary....."resistance to flats going out of town on vacation"?

You don't live in one of those Stephen King type towns where you can enter, but no one is allowed to leave do you ??

Kidding. You've got LT tires already....are you looking for recommendations on a mud tire, or a snow tire ?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM

My opinion, if it's a 1/2 ton truck and you have no intention of towing, or towing very little, then you don't need LT tires. They'll kill your gas mileage and make for a rougher ride. A descent snow tire that I know a lot of guys drive with year round because they are quiet and don't get wobbly, are the Firestone Winterforce.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM

First of all, welcome to the site. Load range "C" are good for the City boys who rarely go on gravel but you need 10 ply load range "E" for your roads. Bit harsher ride but more peace of mind when not punching rocks and gravel through them. I have been running the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires for the past couple of years and find them good. Don't chunk out on poor gravel roads. Good in snow but skate on ice as any tire with larger tread will. Put my last set on in Nov. and have about 40,000Km so far. Wearing good but I rotate them every 10,000 km. In my part of the world we run in 4 wheel most of the winter just for safety sake.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Ive got a GMC Sierra now with Firestone Transforce LT tires load range "c" and had good luck traveling out of town. The only bad luck I had was last summer when I had a low tire pressure warning on the way out. It was only down a little, so I put some air in until I got over the dirt road. It turns out my rim had split - right around the bead. I swear I didnt hit anything. I had to buy a new rim and tire. My aunt has an explorer and it came with p-metric tires. She went down over the dirt road twice and had three flats. When she came back, she got LT tires and never had a problem since. I just need a tire that can handle that situation and not beat the crap out of me on pavement and that is good on snow and ice. Thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Apprentice

I think your going to have a problem with finding something good on ice - most good mud tires have large lugs that skate on ice. A few friends are running Goodyear Territory tires from CT - great for everything but ice (skating). I know guys who were travelling to mine sites etc. that used Goodyear Duratracs - they ran a dedicated set for winter with studs. That gave the best performance for winter - great for deep snow and good stopping on ice.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLCA View Post
I think your going to have a problem with finding something good on ice - most good mud tires have large lugs that skate on ice. A few friends are running Goodyear Territory tires from CT - great for everything but ice (skating). I know guys who were travelling to mine sites etc. that used Goodyear Duratracs - they ran a dedicated set for winter with studs. That gave the best performance for winter - great for deep snow and good stopping on ice.
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs seem to have a couple of tires that appear to be based on it's design, but cheaper price points (Territory at CT and Authority at Walmart). CT often has a buy 3, get 1 free sales on their GY Territory tires. At regular price, the LT245/75-16 Territory is pricier than the Duratrac (currently, $236/tire minus $20 rebate on the Duratracs vs. $250/tire for Territory).

From 2000-05, I ran a set of new Goodyear Wrangler AT/S (P-rated) on my Mazda pickup. They weren't very good IMO. Had to have at least two sand bags year round to keep the rear end in line. They are lowly rated by users at Tire Rack. The Duratracs are the only only GY tires that I would consider. Currently, running on a set of stock GY Wrangler RT/S....will be glad to get rid of them when they wear out.

BFG AT T/A KO are severe snow rated and are often LT load E rated....after the AT/S, I was hoping for a year round tire like the AT T/A KO would work both summer and winter. I was way wrong. I got stuck 10 times one winter. After a couple of winters with the BFG, I got a set of four studded winter tires, entry level (cheap!) Arctic Claw TXI....half the price of the BFG....got me around town a lot better. Stuck maybe 1-2 a winter (put on tire cables to get around). There is NO ONE TIRE OUT THERE!!!

An average winter gets me 8 feet of snow, very cold temps as low as -35 deg C (-40 on occasion, -50 reported in the past), ice in Jan and Feb typically.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Last edited by DavidY; 05-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
I've found Wally World and CT don't stock those tires large enough to fit the stock 275/65/18 that is needed for a Lariat 4x4 F150. You have to actually get the Wrangler Duratrac if you want them for an F150.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
I've found Wally World and CT don't stock those tires large enough to fit the stock 275/65/18 that is needed for a Lariat 4x4 F150. You have to actually get the Wrangler Duratrac if you want them for an F150.
Stock varies by store....both appear to be in stock at my local CT. I don't think that it's a big deal to order them in if they are NOT in stock.

LT275/65-18 Territory is $290/tire CT's regular price....cheaper when on sale.

LT275/65-18 Duratrac is $346/tire at CT (minus $80 rebate for a set of four which expires on June 16, 2012). http://tires.canadiantire.ca/medias/...rebates_en.pdf

Might be cheaper to go with a slightly narrower tire with a thicker sidewall (say a 70 or 75).

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
Stock varies by store....both appear to be in stock at my local CT. I don't think that it's a big deal to order them in if they are NOT in stock.

LT275/65-18 Territory is $290/tire CT's regular price....cheaper when on sale.

LT275/65-18 Duratrac is $346/tire at CT (minus $80 rebate for a set of four which expires on June 16, 2012). http://tires.canadiantire.ca/medias/...rebates_en.pdf

Might be cheaper to go with a slightly narrower tire with a thicker sidewall (say a 70 or 75).

Dave
your sidewall height will be the same size. 70 or 75 is the % of the width. Not sure if the side walls are "thicker" in material.

Narrower will be better in the snow because the tire will cut through better and not float. i'm pretty sure on dirt being wider is better tho.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode