Lariat vs FX4 - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Lariat vs FX4

Hi everyone. I just wanted some opinions on what people thought. I 'm trying to decide between these two trucks and was hoping for some more info. Here are the details:

2012 FX4 4X4
5.0L
Tuxedo Black
Luxury Package
Moonroof
Sony Nav
Plastic bed liner
Power folding mirrors
Tailgate step
Remote start

Or

2012 Lariat 4X4
5.0L
Sterling Grey
Offroad Package
Tailgate step
Spray in bed Liner
Black leather
Upgrade to Sony stereo no Nav
Chrome runner boards

*FX4 is about $1600 more.

Here is my issues. I have always been a GMC guy. I really like the convenience of Auto 4wd in winter. I think i would miss it. This is why i was leaning towards the Lariat. I really love the look of the FX4 with the painted bumpers. If it had the auto 4wd, it would be a no brainer. I like the Lariat because what I heard is that it will hold its value better and the fit and finish and quality of materials is better. I might be wrong. What does everyone think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Welcome to the site. It' s going to be your decision no matter what anyone says on here. In your area remote start would be very nice and heated seats if the truck has them. Auto 4x4 is handy but your winters should be similar to ours out here and under poor conditions we just lock into 4 Hi and leave it.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Garage
I agree with Glen, ultimately it doesn't matter what we think, it's your truck, and your payments.

Any opinion you get will be completely biased, so here's my two cents for what it's worth.......about two cents.

I've owned two FX4's, a 2004 and a 2009, and it was always my preferred trim level.

The FX4 you're quoting has a couple of high price options included.

Off the top of my head, without checking the ford.ca website, the moonroof is a $1300 option, and the Sony Nav system is $2300.

I personally don't see the advantages of Auto 4wd, it's a simple matter of paying attention when it gets greasy in the winter and flipping the switch on the dash to shift on the fly.

Secondly, I don't see how the fit and finish on the Lariat would be any different than on the FX4.

The Lariat package, to me anyway, always seemed to be comprised of more shiny bits and woodgrain trim for the interior and chrome, flashy parts on the exterior.

All flash and no substance, at the root of it (mechanically) you're getting the exact same truck whether it's an FX4 or a Lariat, it's just how many pretty things are tacked on.

I'd vote for the FX4, but I'm completely biased on anything from trim level, to options, to colour, to lack of shiny trinkets.

The moonroof likely comes with a power slider on the rear window, which is handier than you might think, and the Sony Nav system is worth it as well.

All comes down to what you want in your truck....good luck, either way I'm sure you'll be pleased.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Personally I wouldn't order another truck with the power moonroof / sunroof as they make to much noise when driving even with the added wind deflector, so that $1400 was well wasted money. I hated the auto 4wd it never kicks in when it should so good old flip of a switch is much nicer. Plus I'm not one for all the shiny crap they add on and the price that goes with it.
But it's your money so buy what you want

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Gotta watch the interior on the Lariat. There are wood grain type finish on the dash and doors and I've read where some guys didn't like the light wood grain. I've seen the dark wood grain finish and it looks good. Anyways good luck with your choice.

2011 F-150 XTR Ecoboost
2002 Dakota Quad cab sport-traded
1991 Jeep Cammanche Pioneer-sold
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 04:25 PM

In my opinion, I would not get a truck with painted bumpers again, my last trucks front bumper got destroyed in 2 winters in alberta, didn't help that it was a white truck and the plastic under the paint was black, but man it looked bad!! However I do prefer painted over chrome. Either truck would be awesome though.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucksalltheway View Post
Here is my issues. I have always been a GMC guy. I really like the convenience of Auto 4wd in winter. I think i would miss it. This is why i was leaning towards the Lariat.
Go with the FX4...I owned several GM trucks before this with the Autotrac and I thought it would be an issue with the F150...however, the traction control on the truck is excellent (not perfect, but very good) so you'll find you end up not even using 4WD a lot. I used it heavily with my Silverado, but rarely with the F150. The FX4 is a nicer looking truck.

Fit and finish is the same...just treat your truck well and it will hold it's value no matter what.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Apprentice

As with the others, my two cents...

Just waiting on delivery of a Screw Fx4, Sterling Grey,Eco,luxury,no moon roof. I did a bunch of looking and kicking tires, on Fords of course, but could not keep my eyes off of the FX4. I just felt there was too much chrome and shine on the Lariat. As well, wood grain seems to date itself, or maybe Im dating myself !! Anyways, the choice is yours, both cant be a wrong choice, just need to make the most practicle. As lumberjack stated, the sunroof is noisey and a $1300 option you can always save on. Good luck...dont forget the pics !!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 PM

Garage
When you guys say the moonroof/sunroof is noisy...you mean when it's open or closed ??

Seems to me if you've got a big hole in the roof and you're driving 80 to 100 km/h, you're bound to hear something louder than normal.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 08:20 PM

Don't forget that the FX4 has 3.73 for a final drive and the Lariat will have 3.50's. If you're planning on a leveling kit and oversized tires the FX4 will pull them better.
By the way, FX4's rock!!!
:D

Fords and Cats, can life get any better?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode