Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

towing 24' cargo trailer

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Viper238 
#1 ·
Hi. all. New here. Question to all.

I just picked up a near new 2009 f150 XLT. Low miles and have warranty still on it. The truck is a 4x4 supercrew with 5.5' box. 5.4, 6 sp. auto. 3.55 rear. It has the factory tow package (not max) with brake controller, trans cooler, class 4 hitch with 7 and 4 prong plug, heavy duty shocks, 4 spring in rear. I am going to tow a 24' enclosed cargo trailer, 2 axle, electric brakes. The trailer is used as a mobile store that will be filled with bridles, bits, saddle pads, horse cleaning sprays,clothing and such. No hay, water or propane tanks. Haul it to various local horse shows. Trailer weight is 4000 lbs. dry and can't see more than 1000 lbs. if that. Let's go 1500 lbs. on the high side. One 30 mile trip from Langley to Chilliwack, all flat and the rest 5 or six miles from home. Maybe 12 trips a summer. I towed this trailer with a 2005 f250 6.0 diesel. There was some upcoming issues starting to appear with the diesel. We all know about the 6.0. The mantenance is pretty expensive also. From Oct. to April there will be no towing. Will my 09 pull this trailer safely. I also have an equilizer hitch. Sorry to be long winded. Thank you.

#2 ·
First off Welcome to Fordtough.ca.
Your truck will be rated for 7500lbs or higher 9500lbs.
I started towing a 27' camper trailer this year 6000lbs+
The biggest thing for me was getting the brake contoller set up and not grabing.
Your truck will have no problem towing it.

#3 ·
Welcome. Great bunch on here. Enjoy the site. Your truck should pull that trailer with no problem. Won't pull like the 6.0 but even with the 3.55 gear should not be a problem.

#5 ·
Welcome to fordtough great crew on here with a handfull of ass clowns, but theres lots of info to be had so enjoy your stay and post some pics of your truck & trailer. You shouldn't have any problems towing your trailer cause I use to pull a 22' cuddy cabin boat on a tandem trailer, back then ( 4 ) years ago I had a 4.6 with 3.73 gear and truck handled the boat easily

#7 ·
My old man has '09 , 5.4 3.55 LSD, 2wd with factory brake controller.
He pulls a 27ft travel trailer rated at 7000lbs

2 things I found setting it up to pull properly.

Make a the brake controller is set.
Make sure your tongue weight is proper.
If it isn't, your braking and steering will be way out and you will feel like its going out of control. Even though you have load leveling hitch, the chains need to be proper and ball height need to be correct. Or the truck will/can sag excessively.

The truck and trailer should sit level when it's hooked up.

Now your load isn't as much. But I would recommend loading up, setting the way you need think, then take it to a local public scales and get it weighted, by axle if possible.
Then go from there if needs adjusting.
Truck axles should roughly be the same weight.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.