The debate... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose
Exhaust 15 57.69%
Suspension 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

The debate...

Okay...might have an opportunity this summer to spend a small amount of coin on the truck and I'm debating between two different mods as they are relatively the same in price.

Option 1: Exhaust
I'm looking at MBRP or Heartthrob. Both online have descent sounds, but I'm favouring the MBRP. Both also have similiar HP and TQ gains. Unfortunately it's still not gonna sound like a V8, but the performance gains and being able to hear the whistle of the turbos I find intriquing.

Option 2: Suspension
I'm looking at a mild 2.5"/1" front/rear kit. Rough Country has a good priced package including new rear shocks that I could go pick up in the US. Or alternatively (but more money) is a Autopring kit that includes front and rear (2.5/1.5), but no shocks. OR pick up an even cheaper from 2.5" front spacer and get an add-a-leaf.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM

Just my two cents !!!
should have went with the 5.0, they sound good right from factory and could do exhaust down the road. For your truck with turbo you will get some HP but for the cost not sure if its worth it at this time, maybe think tune instead.

I would go with the level kit, only problem with that is tire size, as long as you have a good factory size? You not really need to change rear shocks unless you plan on doing a lot of wheeling?

Your truck do you want sound or looks ?????

2012 XLT F150 (Sterling Grey)
Tonneau Cover, 15% Tint, 6" Rough Country Lift, 18" Helo 6 Wheels(chrome), 35" Toyo Open Country A/T's, SuperChip, Rear Wheel well Liners, Hood Shield,
Window Visors, Fender Flares
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Honest Kieth...I want both. But the pocket book (and the wife) say otherwise.

The 5.0 was never an option. I drove the Ecoboost and there was no comparison in the power. The 5.0L is a good engine, but the Ecoboost runs neck and neck with the 6.2L in terms of performance.

I have my factory 20" rims and tires, and they are there to stay till they need to be replaced. I've still got at least 1 more season, probably two, and then I'll look at options for that.

And agree, the OEM shocks with only 38,000kms on them still have plenty of life...just thought it seemed like a good deal that the Rough Country kit included them. I would probably shelf them for later.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
I voted exhaust then remembered you had an Eco, I put exhaust on a V6 truck once and I'd never do it again.

Its kind of a tough decision if you are going to keep the factory tire size, leveling it up front and adding 1" out back will make your stock tires look way too small IMO.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM

i vote exhaust... if you did the lift you would need tires to make it look right. makeing it more expensive.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Keep um coming guys...these are all good thoughts to ponder.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Its kind of a tough decision if you are going to keep the factory tire size, leveling it up front and adding 1" out back will make your stock tires look way too small IMO.
With only 1" out back and 20" rims, I don't think it will look too bad. But with that said, when my tires do wear out, I will be going with a slightly bigger size.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedThunder View Post
I'll admit the turbo whistle is cool. That's one of the better sounding Eco's I've heard. It has a very turbo diesel like sound at idle. I'm not big on the 6 cylinder sound but its your truck and you should do what you want to it.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM

If your running 20's then my vote is for level, but then I slapped a 6" lift on my truck shortly after I got it. your truck will look good, there is lots of wheel well showing on my truck too.

2012 XLT F150 (Sterling Grey)
Tonneau Cover, 15% Tint, 6" Rough Country Lift, 18" Helo 6 Wheels(chrome), 35" Toyo Open Country A/T's, SuperChip, Rear Wheel well Liners, Hood Shield,
Window Visors, Fender Flares

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode