Extended Warrenty Yes/No - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Extended Warrenty Yes/No

Ordered a 2013 FX4 S/C, build date is Aug 19th. Dealer offered a 72 month extended warrenty for $800.00 off the normal cost during the Employee pricing deal. I have never been a believer in any extended warrenty deals, like Future Shop etc.
However I plan on keeping this truck for at least 6 years. and the price sounds like a good deal. What do the forum members think???
If you have the extended warrenty must you complete ALL maintance at the dealer to keep the warrenty in effect???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Garage
Yah, this question seems to pop on a regular basis, and it's a pretty subjective.

Depends on what helps you sleep at night, but here's one opinion of many.....

I think extended warranties are one of the biggest money grabbing scams there are out there, total and complete waste of money.

You might just as well take the cash , pour lighter fluid on it, and start your barbecue, because at least then the money will actually be doing something for you.

So, not only do you get the opinion, I'll tell you why I hate extended warranties so much.

First up, the majority of these extended warranties have fuck all to do with Ford.....they're peddled under the Ford banner, but once your 3yr/60000km is up, you are buying coverage from another company altogether.

If someone can prove me wrong, by all means, speak up.

Second, for you to see any kind of advantage to the extended warranty, you would have to have a claim that was over and above what you paid for the coverage.

Example : extended warranty costs you $1500 up front. Any claim on your extended warranty up to that amount, you're just spending your own money, that coverage has done nothing for you, might just as well put it in the cookie jar and wait three years before you can even use it, because the factory warranty has you covered up to that point.

Next up, the way these trucks are built, contrary to what some people around here have said, six years is nothing. Add in the fact you're the one driving it and maintaining it since new, and you should get 200,000+ km worry free. Take the conservative route and get it Rust Checked / Krowned , and you're even further ahead.

Suppose, you do have a claim. How easy do you think it's going to be to get a second party company to come good on the claim??? I got a sneaking feeling there's a large amount of bullshit and run around involved.

So, there you go.

Even after saying all that, there's still people that insist they like the peace of mind to have the extended warranty, so they pay up anyway.

Meh, lots of different ways to spend your money, do what works for you !

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs07 View Post
Ordered a 2013 FX4 S/C, build date is Aug 19th. Dealer offered a 72 month extended warranty for $800.00 off the normal cost during the Employee pricing deal. I have never been a believer in any extended warranty deals, like Future Shop etc.
However I plan on keeping this truck for at least 6 years. and the price sounds like a good deal. What do the forum members think???
If you have the extended warranty must you complete ALL maintenance at the dealer to keep the warranty in effect???
I've had it in the past and it has saved me on some repairs.

My work truck just had a new engine installed under warranty. 2010 E-350 5.4L 53K .
They didn't ask to see any maintenance records.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Lol
Ohh mike..

to be uneducated and naive.. lol

USED Vehicle warranty is one thing..
And that is what your referring to in your whole post.. that is a waste.
IT is 3rd party, they are banking on you not keeping up with your paperwork, so they can deny a claim.

The NEW vehicle warranty is thru Ford. It is registered on the ford network. Any Service dept and look it up and bill to it if an issue is to come up. No work on your part. I've had a couple claims.

The warranty is insurance. Something that can be financed, and most important peace of mind.

I usually get it on alot of larger items, why? cause shit always breaks on me. lol

Last edited by Viper238; 08-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Garage
I'm no more uneducated and naive than you are condescending and arrogant.

Don't care if it's Ford or not, got no use for extended warranties of any kind.

I'll have to concede the point on new vs used though, I did not know Ford was actually backing the extended warranty.

The basic premise of my post holds true though, you're spending your own money up to what you paid for it.

And really....you didn't have to copy my whole post, it was the one above your first post. Lol

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Lok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up

I don't usually believe in extended warranties like the ones they sell for appliances and electronics, but for peace of mind on a 30- 50 thousand dollar vehicle, I think it is worth it, if you are going to keep the vehicle for more than the 3 years the factory one covers you for. My last truck had to have the power steering pump , pressure switches and hoses changed at 75k and there was no issue at the dealer using the warranty. That one incident paid for the warranty, so yes I think it was worth it. Like I said, peace of mind, and no big repair bill surprises
just my 2 bits worth, since we don't have pennies anymore for my 2cents worth lol
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepma View Post
....That one incident paid for the warranty, so yes I think it was worth it.
Nope, you paid for that fix, unless the payout for the fix was more than what you paid for the additional coverage.

I don't understand why people have such a difficult time understanding that.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Depends on the cost of the repairs.

Dealer hourly rate is getting up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 PM

first truck i bought extended warranty and used it for at least 5g worth of fixes.
Harley i didn't get the extended cause i knew modifying would void most things anyways. absolutely nothing came up that waswarranty

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode