New Noise after IWE Actuator Replacement - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

New Noise after IWE Actuator Replacement

Hi guys, i'm hoping one of you may be able to shine some light on a problem that my truck has developed.

For the past couple of months my truck had been intermittently having a grinding noise/vibration in the front end. Generally low speed only, 40-50Km/h . The noise/vibration would go away as soon as I shifted out of 2wd in to 4wd. After doing much research I figured it was the IWE actuator that was causing the problem. I took my truck in to my normal mechanic this week and had them look in to the problem and they after some digging agreed that it was likely a bad IWE actuator causing the problem. They had my truck 4 days as after they replaced the IWE actuator on the driver side they noticed a new problem, a problem which I had never experience until they worked on my truck.

Intermittently at highway speeds, around 90-95Km/h, I get a buzzing noise coming from the front end. There is no vibration in the truck, just the noise. Honestly I'm stumped, prior to my truck being in the shop I never experienced anything like this, and thought my problem would be solved after the IWE replacement. Now I've got a truck making an intermittent noise and a mechanic that isn't sure what the problem might be.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions or things to look at. Maybe someone has had a similar situation.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 AM

Garage
Just a suggestion. Check for vacuum leaks and one way valve operation.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructicon View Post
Just a suggestion. Check for vacuum leaks and one way valve operation.
Good place to start. There are check valves in the system. May be that with a vacuum leak and higher speed, therefore less vacuum, the iwe may be trying to engage a bit. Check the lines running from the iwe solenoid to the actuators. Does it still do it if you put it in 4wd?

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Those noise only seems to exist in 2wd. When it happens, I'll slow down slow enough to engage the 4wd and as soon as I do that the noise goes away.

The link below is someone else with a similar sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDgAzZDFIk

Sounds like based on other comments it's either the IWE solenoid or a check valve. Guess I have some digging to do.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Garage
I am so glad my truck is so old. Dodge used vacuum operate 4wd. Just brings to mind the old saying, "Just because someone else did it doesn't mean it's a good thing." In my opinion, there's nothing like having control over your vehicle instead of it holding you hostage with repair bills.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sadly, my thoughts right now are that I'm going to have to throw some parts at it and see what happens. I know the solenoid valve is known to go bad and it's a cheap part, $20ish, so I'll start with that and the vacuum resevoir, another cheap item, and see if those are the problems. Rather not rack up the bill at the mechanic shop for something I can change.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Pull the vacuum line off of the solenoid and plug it with a golf tee. I'd say its one of the hubs. Get a price of vacuum hose and hook it to each wheel hub and suck, the diaphragm should hold vacuum

05 F150 Lariat Screw.
89 LX5.0 usual mods.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode