Tire questions and feed back - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Tire questions and feed back

Hey guys! After a very short time with my new F150 3.7 4x4 and it's stock Hankook Dynapro AT 235 75 17's I've noticed a couple displeasing things. (1) the narrow treads collect rocks like I've never witnessed before. Today I actually picked 33 rocks out of just 1 tire. (2) under even mild acceleration on wet pavement I can feel my traction control working and (3) these tires are god awful ugly and look like they belong on a 2wd truck not a 4x4.
-So... What size tires can I go to within the limits of my warranty?
- What is the best looking semi aggressive tire out there without breaking the bank?
Keep in mind this is NOT A mud or swamp truck. It is my daily driver but does see its share of rough and muddy terrain.
Thanks in advance for your feedback
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:29 PM

Garage
I had no idea Ford was using Hankook's as OEM tires, all I've ever seen is Goodyears and Pirelli's.

Don't think it really matters what tires you run with respect to the truck warranty, as long as they're the same size so the computer and speedo don't get screwed up.

As far as recommendations, it' pretty subjective, whatever you like and fits your budget, no right or wrong.

For the sake of recommendations , the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S' on my FX4 (optional LT tire choice) look good and work OK too.

Slightly more aggressive tread pattern, my choice would be BFG All Terrain's, always liked them and have had several sets.

Biggest complaint with the All Terrains was that they weren't super great in the winter, but I run Blizzaks in the winter, so it doesn't really matter.

Hope that helps. Picking rocks out of the tire treads though.......really? lol

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

All the stx's on my local dealers lot were the same hankook tires. Maybe they are only used on the stx model. Not sure. And yeah really..lol..all I can hear on the pavement is the click of rocks in the tires and flying rocks hitting the inner fenders. It's freaking annoying. I've been looking at both of your suggestions. I like the looks of the wranglers more but I've heard they don't wear as good as the bf's. Any truth to that?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Garage
I have the same Hankooks on my truck. Way too small of a tire for a 4x4 truck. I think its the width (235) that makes them look bad. They were useable this past winter, but they do spin easy. And yes, i pick the rocks out every so often. I plan on replacing them before next winter, so I'll be watching this thread.

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 PM

I run BFG All Terrain T/A's on my truck, mind you bit bigger tire LT285-65-18 and they love to throw rocks also as the side of my truck will attest to. They are a good snow tire but like to skate on ice.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 PM

Garage
Tough comparison, tread patterns a lot chunkier on the BFG's, a little more road noise.

Didn't find either to wear out excessively fast under normal driving conditions, but to be honest, lately I've been swapping trucks before the tires are anywhere near replacement.

Incidentally, I've been looking at a set of BFG's.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRanger View Post
I have the same Hankooks on my truck. Way too small of a tire for a 4x4 truck. I think its the width (235) that makes them look bad. They were useable this past winter, but they do spin easy. And yes, i pick the rocks out every so often. I plan on replacing them before next winter, so I'll be watching this thread.
I swear the only way these tires could look any worse is if they had a big thick white wall. Lol. Not sure what ford was thinking on this one?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Tough comparison, tread patterns a lot chunkier on the BFG's, a little more road noise.

Didn't find either to wear out excessively fast under normal driving conditions, but to be honest, lately I've been swapping trucks before the tires are anywhere near replacement.

Incidentally, I've been looking at a set of BFG's.
Thanks for your input! Both types discussed look good and by the sounds of things are equally able. Maybe the answer is to see which of the 2 I can get a better deal on.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 AM

I've got Cooper Zeon LTZs in 305-40-22 on my Harley.

Great tire with an aggressive tread but very quiet.

Handles better than the Pirelli OEMs.

Very competitively priced.

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/showt...482#post167482

2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson AWD Tuxedo Black
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo View Post
I run BFG All Terrain T/A's on my truck, mind you bit bigger tire LT285-65-18 and they love to throw rocks also as the side of my truck will attest to. They are a good snow tire but like to skate on ice.
x2

Once my BFG's wear out I think I'm going to give something else a try. They have worn pretty good with about 80,000 km on them now and they still have about 6-7/32's on them. My only complaint is they tend to snowplow a bit in slippery winter conditions.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode