Aiming Headlights? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Aiming Headlights?

Anyone have much experience doing this the proper way? I've watched quite a few videos now and there seems to be a lot of different ways to do it. I tried filling my tank, parking 25' away from a clear garage door on a level surface. Then measured from the ground to that tiny little circle on the center of my headlights which was approx 39". Then I measured up from the ground 39" on the garage door and put a strip of tape. Then I adjusted my headlights so the top of the beam came up to that line. Had 1 person flash me afterwords that night and them seem too high. Is there a lower number I should have adjusted too? Not sure about the other models but I know the 2012 FX4 only has a vertical adjustment. I have the piaa extreme white halogen bulbs.

2012 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Getting flashed is common in trucks even if you have stock bulbs. I get flashed sometimes, usually on a 2 lane highway running my fog lights and I just have Sylvania Silverstars up top and stock fog bulbs.

Our lights are higher to begin with and then if you up the light output they can be pretty bright for car drivers who don't understand it and flash you.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok....so the method I used to actually aim them though is correct?

2012 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost Silver

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Go drive to a commercial plaza at night, and park outside of the glass store front on level ground.
The reflection coming back at you will tell the tale, in regards to glaring headlights. Works for the vertical adjustment, and can make both sides quite level/even if you are careful with the adjustment(s). Sometimes parking a bit farther out in the lot can give you more of a sense of what the oncoming drivers are seeing.

Your problem could also be that your drivers side horizontal setting is incorrect, so try to take note of how your lights look on a misty/foggy night, or smoke up your garage slightly at night via something, and check then.

Now before doing any of this, I recommend that you check your tire pressures, and have your truck half full of gas (better than empty or full re: the over all average of the way your truck would be sitting)

I can't believe that most dealerships and garages don't seem to no longer have proper headlight aiming equipment available, or when they do, don't know how to use them correctly.

Press on regardless!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by James066 View Post
Ok....so the method I used to actually aim them though is correct?
I think so. I've done something similar with my Jetta.

I wouldn't stress over it.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode