NEED HELP: Phaser/timing issues - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Phaser/timing issues

I have a 2006 F150 5.4 in my shop here. A spark plug broke off and fell inside one of the cylinders. I removed the head, replaced the head gasket and stretch bolts, retrieved the broken plug (curse you Ford for using those silly 2 piece plugs!!) and reinstalled the head.

I think the timing is off as this truck is refusing to start at the moment and theres no codes.

Each phaser has both the timing marks "R" and "L" on them. When I first removed the timing chains and guides, the crank was at the 6 o'clock position and the phasers BOTH had the "R" timing mark at the 12 o'clock position (relative to the valve cover mating surface.

Did I mess this up? Is the phaser supposed to have the letter "R" at the 12 0'clock position for the right head, and the letter "L" at the 12 o'clock position for the left head? I cannot find any definite answers concerning this, and Youtube has been sort of unhelpful with all its videos.

I thought it was a manufacturers defect or simply an incorrectly marked phaser used so both heads have the "R" mark at top, 30 chain links from the crank at 6 o'clock.

Also, is this an interference engine? I turned it over by hand and felt no contact with valves, thus leading me to believe it was correctly timed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode