Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

F150 parts

NEED HELP: 
3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Stonewall F150 
#1 ·
I need a new steering shaft and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to buy it. Thx

#2 ·
Salvage yard? Why do you need a new steering shaft? BTW - Welcome to the site.

Reactions: CanadianRanger
#4 ·
Everything else has been checked? Steering linkages, ball joints, power steering pump, power steering rack/box, CV joints/u-joints, tires/tire pressure? Alignment?

#5 ·
Those are all potential problems, I have checked everything you mentioned except the ball joints. I guess I will do that today. If I spray WD40 on the ujoints for the steering shaft the problem disappears. Evidently this is not uncommon for a F150. Is that logical?

#6 ·
Ok. WD40 strips all of the grease out and temporarily lubricates. Can you just change the u-joints in these? You could in the older ones.

#8 ·
Time to upgrade to some good old fashion technology.

#9 ·
ya you said it. it's funny because when you buy a vehicle you have no idea what kind of shortcuts they have made with the design. So I checked my ball joints and the upper driver side one is a bit clicky. It turns out that for a 2010 the ball joints are incorporated right into the control arm. Funny because the dealer mechanic told me that I needed a new control arm but never said it was because the ball joint needed to be replaced. I would love to find a better place to buy parts than Ford or Canadian Tire / Partsource. I don't think this will have anything to do with the stiff steering but it still needs to be addressed.

#10 ·
yeah it probably has everything to do with the stiff steering

my 01 meeded ball joints
it required a definate effort to turn it and if that turn was a sudden reaction to something in front of me the steering was stiff enough that I'd have to be committed to the reaction as the counter steer back from the reaction was going to be really really slow

3 new ball joints solved the issue compleately

the control arms are usually made as an assembely these days in many vehicles

the ball joints are often now pressed into the control arm and spot welded into place instead of being threaded into a socket in the control arm

cheeper to make and maybe , maybe easier to install with simple tools

bonus is you get new control arm bushings too

#11 ·
Get your part numbers from your local dealer and call Tasca Ford Parts at 1-800-598-1484. Or have your vin # handy. Get a price and if you want
to order ask them to ship USPS. They did for me and saved a ton of money. With USPS you know your total costs up front and won't receive a nasty surprise
later on tax and duty. They are located in R.I. make sure you stress USPS and not UPS! Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.