Need a little advice! - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Need a little advice!

Hey everyone!

I am pretty new to the forums, but have found the information extremely useful so far! I just reciently purchased a 2010 F-150 XLT 5.4 Supercab 4x4.

I'm not much of a gearhead, but I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on some questions concerning some noises I've been hearing coming from the truck!

First I dont know if its the injectors, or supposed to sound this way, but the engine ticks... its fairly noticeable outside the cab, and occurs right from startup on a cold engine and continues into normal operating temps. I've asked the dealership about it and they say its normal, even started a few f-150's on the lot, they make the same tick. Does this sound like a normal engine noise? It doesn't sound like a diesel or anything, just a constant "tickticktick" even when bringing the RPM's up.

On to the next noise.... If I pull up to a curb to put some resistance on the engine, or press the brakes and lightly push the gas, you can hear what almost sounds like a rattling or clacking sound, different from the constant engine noise I was describing above. This sound only occurs when the truck has some resistance on it, and its at a low RPM, below 1000 I think. push the gas just a bit further, or let it return to idle, and the noise dissapears. Could this be a loose heat shield or something?

Like I said, I'm not very mechanically inclined! haha! But I'm hoping some of you out there might know, or have heard what I'm talking about! I love my truck, but I'd hate to think she was starting to fall apart at only 2000km! I'm hoping its just minor though!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2010 F-150 5.4 XLT Supercab 4x4
2000km
Blue Flame
XTR package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:03 AM

the ticking could be from the octane in the fuel not sure how it does it but it compensates for it causeing a ticking i had it on my old 2000 i had had it in several times at 3 dealers because i thought it was BS but all 3 had the same diagnostic and a few other trucks i herd also had it.... if you run premium its a waste so i was told (unless tuned of course)

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the info! I run regular 87 octane fuel, but maybe I'll try a different gas station or something to see if that helps. The first sound I described may be normal according to the dealership. I even went to the dealership and got them to start up a couple trucks and they all sounded much like the first noise I described. And I've taken a look on the net a videos of people with bad cam phasers and whatnot, and I dont think thats it, atleast I hope not! haha! The sound mine makes isn't very loud, and it doesn't sound like a diesel either. I'm a little more concerned about the rattling sound when the engine is under a light load. ha ha, maybe I should just turn up the radio.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode