NEED HELP: dead electrical system - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

dead electrical system

I have a '09 FX4 with just over 15K on it. Three times now I have had the truck completely dead when I have went out to start it. The electric door locks wont even work when this happens. As soon as the jumper cables are hooked up everything comes to life. I have to reset all my preset radio stations after this occurs, my mpg is reset, the whole system has been down. Any ideas how to trace what is going on with this truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM

If it's an '09 with only 15K, it should be under warranty. I would call the dealer and ask them to pick it up while it is still dead so they can diagnose it. It may be harder to find if you take it in while the problem is not happening.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM

sounds like it has a heavy draw on the battery,take it tothe dealer it should be covered under base warranty(unless you have add-on accessories causing the draw)

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Forum Newbie

Very interesting,

2010 FX4 w. aftermarket stereo install under 5000 Km. I went to use the remote start and got nothing. Once inside I found my odometer and stereo and display unit not functioning....totally dead. Brought the truck to a dealership and with a rough and dirty inspection was told that it was the aftermarket stereo causing the problem and not a Ford warranty issue.

Brought the truck to the stereo installer and they went over every connection twice to make sure nothing was wrong. Then again back to a different dealership where thankfully they decided to replace the display unit under warranty.

The display unit is still on order and I never received a reason why the electrical may have malfunctioned.

This could be a battery draw issue as well, but it does not explain the complete failure of the display unit...any ideas on a cause for this?

I will post again once the new display unit is installed....hopefully I never have to go through an experience like this ever again.

Greatwhitenorth
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM

Here's a good website on how to find a battery draw.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode