head rest fot the middle seat in the back - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

head rest fot the middle seat in the back

Just wondering if anybody knows of a simple modification for a head rest in the middle back seat. I have three kids and would feel better about some kind of support back there in the event of an accident. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 2010 F150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Apprentice

Shortest kid in the middle ! kidding sorry :P But in all seriousness...

Quick and reversible solutions might be to use some of those special cushion supports for people with neck/back issues that need extra support when sitting.. Setting one of those up might help... Or like the cushions for people travelling, may want to attatch them with velcro strips or 3M tape or something so they don't move around like you said in case of an accident. However.... I don't know they'd hold up that way in an accident.
It would certainly help with comfort, not sure about safety..

If you want to get into spending more money I am sure a lot of custom fabrication shops could easily go right in and install an extra head-rest. More costly, but perhaps a better bet if safety is the primary concern. Your dealer may have connections to help you out with that, but often going through a dealer just ends up costing you more.

The cushion idea could be a good temporary fix until you figure out something more secure though.

I am assuming the primary reason for not having headrests in the middle seat would be due to visibility in the vehicle? Which might be tied into actual legal factors... I wonder if having this visibility hindered by an aftermarket modification might in some places place more liability on someone who had willingly added a visibility obstruction in this way to their vehicle, in the event of an accident? Especially if the impact were to have anything to do with the rear of your truck. Might be worth looking into, or maybe someone here knows more..

I think an extra headrest would be a good idea personally. Nobody likes being stuck in the middle seat. Some kind of cushioning back there I would imagine would greatly reduce the chance of whiplash or injury to the head.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Apprentice

Just an afterthought....

If there is indeed no legal/liability issues caused by the extra visibility restriction...
Spending the extra coin to have something more securely installed via a custom shop... Is probably a small price to pay for the extra safety that you're looking for.

Sorry I can't offer any help from "experience" as I've never had this issue personally.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

thanks for the tips

I have seen the tundra and dodge both have middle headrests. I'm thinking it should be OK legal wise. I will try to find someone locally to see if some fix can be done. Thanks for the tips.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM

As long as you have two outside mirrors (driver and passenger sides), you can paint the back window or completely block it off if you want, no legal issues at all. Look at the work trucks with truck caps and no windows in those, or panel vans without rear windows, you get my drift.

2010 XLT Screw 6.5 box XTR pkg, 5.4, bike hauler
2010 Mazda 3 Sport, Black mica, commuter duties
2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R - race ready (track duties)
2002 Honda Foreman 4X4, 26`ITPs, mud toy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode