Tailgate step..pain in the A$$ or good to have - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Question Tailgate step..pain in the A$$ or good to have

I can see the benefits of the tailgate step as I am short guy and usually end up crawling into the back of others pickups.

The tailgate step seems like a good idea, but the handle in the tailgate is what I am wondering about.

does it interfere with the floor being flat when you have the tailgate down and 8' sheet material in the box, like drywall or plywood. I think where the handle attaches to the tailgate there is a rounded bump that stick up.

also, say you load the back with earth or gravel and are pushing/shovelling it out the back with the tailgate down, seems to me the handle in the down position would be a pain in the ass, although I guess you cuold just stand it upright for those odd occassions.

...I think I just answered my questions...

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Nope, not a pain at all (I thought it would be as well before buying), it lays "flush" with the tailgate cover --- the tailgates with the step handles have a factory cover the keeps everything flush when in the down position. I've loaded many motorcycles into the back and its never a concern....same thing with large boards, etc. Its definately worth it for sure, now, would I specificaly order it from the factory as option in the future....hmmm, don't know, but ours was already on the lot and had the option. One thing to note, tailgates with the step are reinforced internally (strengthened) to compensate for the weight load when the step is deployed, therefore, if you haul 4 wheelers or motorcycles with the back wheel(s) on the open tailgate, its nice to know the extra weight will not hurt it (unlike regular tailgates which have a tendancy to "bow" over years of abuse)... all food for thought, depending on your needs.

2010 XLT Screw 6.5 box XTR pkg, 5.4, bike hauler
2010 Mazda 3 Sport, Black mica, commuter duties
2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R - race ready (track duties)
2002 Honda Foreman 4X4, 26`ITPs, mud toy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
My parents have an '09 that has it. and they love it.
it sits "flush" and makes it easy to get into the back. My father has bad knees to it helps out when he's gotta get in the back.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Besides, it comes with a stripper pole!!! (at least on the SD's it's there)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM

I ordered my truck without it. IMHO it is another useless component that will promote rust. Although I Krown all my vehicles the tailgate step just seemed to be a liability.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 AM

I do not have a tailgate step or have I driven a truck with one but .....
My biggest issue with the tailgate step was that when the tailgate is up, the step is loose and loud inside the tailgate. I have not driven one with a tailgate step but in the showroom just shaking it a little it sounds pretty loud. After a couple of years of use and abuse it would likely be looser and louder ....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM76 View Post
I do not have a tailgate step or have I driven a truck with one but .....
My biggest issue with the tailgate step was that when the tailgate is up, the step is loose and loud inside the tailgate. I have not driven one with a tailgate step but in the showroom just shaking it a little it sounds pretty loud. After a couple of years of use and abuse it would likely be looser and louder ....

Nope, it doesn't shake at all, it "locks" in position, allot of people don't realize that, especially ones in the showroom which are most likely getting "deployed" allot. I didn't at first either (until I read the manual, LOL)... after pushing the step all the way back into the tailgate, you "twist" the edge of the tailgate end cap (on the step itself) and it moves in another half inch or so and "locks" in place. You will hear/feel the step seating into position and its quite solid after that. It shouldn't move at all after that..... ours does not anyway.

2010 XLT Screw 6.5 box XTR pkg, 5.4, bike hauler
2010 Mazda 3 Sport, Black mica, commuter duties
2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R - race ready (track duties)
2002 Honda Foreman 4X4, 26`ITPs, mud toy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 PM

id say its a great thing with the trucks sitting as high as they do would make it alot easier to get in and out of the bed, id like to get one for my truck a future mod

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Nope, it doesn't shake at all, it "locks" in position, allot of people don't realize that, especially ones in the showroom which are most likely getting "deployed" allot. I didn't at first either (until I read the manual, LOL)... after pushing the step all the way back into the tailgate, you "twist" the edge of the tailgate end cap (on the step itself) and it moves in another half inch or so and "locks" in place. You will hear/feel the step seating into position and its quite solid after that. It shouldn't move at all after that..... ours does not anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
id say its a great thing with the trucks sitting as high as they do would make it alot easier to get in and out of the bed, id like to get one for my truck a future mod
x2 for both

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode