What a Difference in Towing - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
 
rgoulet58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Limoges,ON
Posts: 19
What a Difference in Towing

Finally got to use my new truck to tow my 23' Toy Hauler. What a difference over my old 02 F150 4x4 4.6/355 gears. The old truck would rev around 4200 at 100Kph on flat road (OD off). The new 2010 4x4 5.4/373LS and max tow revs at around 2000 at 100Kph. TT with large 4 wheeler and all the gear for a long weekend is around 7000lbs. Was very impressed how well it handled and even tried cruise for a bit and it worked well.
rgoulet58 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 AM
 
taisa899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Amherstburg, Ontario
Posts: 4,934
Send a message via MSN to taisa899
glad you're happy with it



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
taisa899 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM
 
Seb_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 409
Must have seen quite a difference in gas spent too

2008 Ranger FX4
Some lift, some tires, and a winch
Seb_L is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM
 
shelbyx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: bonnyville alberta
Posts: 2,401
it seems they did there homework on these newer trucks and got the torque curve just right


a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
shelbyx1 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Forum Newbie
 
Rrnb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Langley bc
Posts: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoulet58 View Post
Finally got to use my new truck to tow my 23' Toy Hauler. What a difference over my old 02 F150 4x4 4.6/355 gears. The old truck would rev around 4200 at 100Kph on flat road (OD off). The new 2010 4x4 5.4/373LS and max tow revs at around 2000 at 100Kph. TT with large 4 wheeler and all the gear for a long weekend is around 7000lbs. Was very impressed how well it handled and even tried cruise for a bit and it worked well.
That's great to hear. I just traded my f350 v10 for a 150 max trailer tow pack with 3.73's as well. I've got a 23ft. trailer dry weight 4900lbs and I haven't towed it yet with the new truck.Now I can't wait!

Cheers!

Last edited by Rrnb; 07-17-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Rrnb is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 PM
 
pbeitschat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: st thomas ont
Posts: 32
Talking

your not the only one who noticed a big difference, me too and I have the 4.6 , it stays at consistant rpm and speed and fuel mileage is better, me happy
pbeitschat is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
 
97350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N.T.
Posts: 40
Did the truck have enough low end power to hold 100kph or does it slow down and then drop in and out of od repeatedly?I'm assuming that you can leave it in OD and select the towing mode...right?I'm curious because I'm interested in buying a new 2010 F150 2wd SCrew with the max tow pkg.I pull an 8500lb trailer.
97350 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 PM
 
LayinHp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waterford
Posts: 3,019
either way it should be in tow mode o/d off for towing good way to burn up a tranny leaving it on light loads wuldnt be an issue but it will get hot on heavy loads



2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
LayinHp is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
 
rgoulet58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Limoges,ON
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97350 View Post
Did the truck have enough low end power to hold 100kph or does it slow down and then drop in and out of od repeatedly?I'm assuming that you can leave it in OD and select the towing mode...right?I'm curious because I'm interested in buying a new 2010 F150 2wd SCrew with the max tow pkg.I pull an 8500lb trailer.
You really can't compare it to the old 4 speeds with OD. The new 6 speed only has Tow Haul mode which I beleive still gives you 6 gears but changes the shift points for towing. I only had the one oppertunity to tow once this year and that was mostly flat road.. I'll have a better idea how well it tows Labour day weekend. Lots of hills on the 101 to digby.

08 23' RPM Toy Hauler
13 Esacpe (Wife's)
06 Vulcan 900 LT
05 Brute Force 650
2010 F150 SC XTR Max Tow
rgoulet58 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 AM
 
ric_no_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Berwick, NS
Posts: 96
Quote:
You really can't compare it to the old 4 speeds with OD. The new 6 speed only has Tow Haul mode which I beleive still gives you 6 gears but changes the shift points for towing. .
Yup, and makes it sound nice when you aren't towing. There is no way to shut the o/d off. You can pull it down to '3' but it will still hit o/d when the conditions are right. The tranny temp gauge is a nice feature.

Quote:
I'll have a better idea how well it tows Labour day weekend. Lots of hills on the 101 to digby
The hill out of Bridgetown on my way to Keji was the worst one for me but I started from Berwick and didn't get to try Avonport. I was only hauling a tent trailer and some gear in the bed but I started at the bottom at 110 and got to the top at 100 and only dropped down a gear to get there.
ric_no_k is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing help Rustycan Ranger Forum 7 08-01-2009 08:17 PM
Towing cnelson09 F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum 1 05-03-2009 11:49 PM
NEED HELP: What is the difference? vernobc Ranger Forum 7 10-27-2008 07:38 PM
Plug types make a difference?? f150phule Gas Engines 4 02-04-2008 07:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome