4WD sound - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

4WD sound

Hey guys,

Just wondering if your trucks sound much different when in 4WD. Mine makes a whirring type sound when accelerating. My previous truck ('07 Tundra) did not make this kind of sound. Dealer checked it out and thought it was rather noisy so they contacted Ford Canada. They said it could be driveline wind up and said to just see if it gets worse.

Here's a video of the sound I'm hearing. It may be completely normal but as I said, my other truck didn't do this.

BTW, I don't normally drive in 4WD on pavement, this was just for demo purposes as I wanted a surface that wasn't too bumpy for the video. Tire pressures were all 39 psi and I drove in a straight line.

Last edited by seadragon; 08-24-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Does the manual say something about not to using the 4wd on dry pavement? I have a 2wd so I can't tell you if I have the same noise
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:37 PM

You're on dry pavement, so wind-up. If I were your transfer case, I'd be moaning, too.
Does it make that noise on ground that has some "give" to it?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

No, as I mentioned, I don't usually drive on pavement in 4WD. It was only for this video as I wanted a smooth surface. The sound is exactly the same when driving on a gravel road. Haven't had a chance to drive it in the snow... yet.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Ah. Seems odd then. I've driven various 4WD trucks, including an F150, GMCs, and my own Mazda, and I've never noticed any of them make a particular noise in 4WD. But I don't own a 150, so I couldn't say for certain. Lots of people here will know better, though.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Apprentice

Mine kinda makes that noise. It's only 6 weeks old.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 03:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Most of my t-cases make noise, seems normal to me. 4 Low is even worse, especially around 40 - 50 km/h!!

Just be thankful you do have an old straight cut gear drive t-case, they whine worse than yer ol' lady on the rag LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like its normal. However, if it were transfer case gear whine, wouldn't it be a constant sound? This sound seems to follow the gas pedal rather than the forward motion of the truck. It seems like it changes pitch as the torque converter locks/unlocks. But then it should happen in 2WD also.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 AM

I don't think it would be a constant sound. When you are on the gas the sound would be worse as you are 'pushing' the gears to mate and to when you let off you remove some of the pressure.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
The t-case will get louder as you put more load on it, ie it will be loudest under acceleration and deceleration, whereas it will be relatively quiet when coasting under no load situations at constant speed on level ground. Thats just the sound of the chain you're hearing.

Unless its clunking, banging, or its binding up horribly in a straight line, I personally wouldn't worry about it at all. Even disengaging, the servo motor will clunk a bit if there's load on the t-case still, its normal. You'd be really amazed at what a t-case can handle. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode