2wd in winter - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

2wd in winter

Hello everybody, just purchased my new 2010 Ford F150 XLT 2wd. haven't yet taken delivery but hopefully by the end of the week.

First time owning a 2wd truck since the money isn't there for the 4x4.

What advice or tips does anybody have for driving in the winter w/ 2wd.

So far I have been told the obvious of having a secured weight over the wheels.

I was also told skinnier tires are better to cut through the slush and snow.
Anyways onto my question.
Would the bridgestone blizzaks in the 235/75 be good or is there a better choice?

Any good ideas for the "secured weight"?
Thanks to all for any answers they will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:15 PM

Get actual winter tires And u will be fine. Weight in the box helps. I use 3ft by 2ft patio stones over the Axel. Then u can still use the box. Don't use sand bags they get to be a mess

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thanks, how do you keep the patio stones secure?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM
atk

Send a message via MSN to atk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
Get actual winter tires And u will be fine. Weight in the box helps. I use 3ft by 2ft patio stones over the Axel. Then u can still use the box. Don't use sand bags they get to be a mess

i hope you have those patio stones secured well. worked in wrecking yard for 16 years and seen what can happen when things aren`t secured properly in the box. just thought i would pass this info along....

2004 FORD F-250 XLT 4x4 C/C S/B....

Sct-Livewire with custom tunes, guages, 4" exhaust,coolant filter....soon to be tuned by PHP....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atk View Post
i hope you have those patio stones secured well. worked in wrecking yard for 16 years and seen what can happen when things aren`t secured properly in the box. just thought i would pass this info along....
good info.
im only city driving, so accidents aren't as severe, but i have the rubber bed mat and those puppies ain't sliding anywhere, not saying they would be still there in a accident thou. i have the super crew box and 2 stones side by side were a tight squeeze to fit in between wheel wells. and then a piece of 2x4 against the back wall so they cant fly forward.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Canadian Tire (and Princess Auto?) sells Shur Trax. Otherwise, get an extra heavy bed mat. A friend who has an older Ranger got one a few years ago from Princess Auto.

I typically used sand bags usually 6 to 8. After a year or two, the plastic bags get ruined to UV and such.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
atk

Send a message via MSN to atk
just some idea`s....

i usually use railway ties with a 2x8 fastened at each end(tying all ties togetther). 5 will fit between wheel wells (400 to 500 lbs). this is made to fit snug inside the box. this does take up more room , but i usually got ties for free....

if you are going to use patio stone or something similar, make up a woodframe from 2x4 that fits snug inside the box. then lay a sheet of plywood or rubber mat on top and fasten to wood frame.

if you want a really cheap alternitive, fill the bed with wet snow....

as for tires, like stated before, a decent winter tire will work....i have had good luck BFG all terrains for winter use....

2004 FORD F-250 XLT 4x4 C/C S/B....

Sct-Livewire with custom tunes, guages, 4" exhaust,coolant filter....soon to be tuned by PHP....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 PM

Garage
I carried an old foam-filled forklift tire on top of my camper mat in the winter. Tire was 6-700 lbs. Worked awesome. Done the wet snow thing too...equally good...till it freezes! Do you have a "posi" rear? It does help in the traction department. Good studded snow tires are a must if you deal with a lot of ice.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
Hello everybody, just purchased my new 2010 Ford F150 XLT 2wd. haven't yet taken delivery but hopefully by the end of the week.

First time owning a 2wd truck since the money isn't there for the 4x4.

What advice or tips does anybody have for driving in the winter w/ 2wd.

So far I have been told the obvious of having a secured weight over the wheels.

I was also told skinnier tires are better to cut through the slush and snow.
Anyways onto my question.
Would the bridgestone blizzaks in the 235/75 be good or is there a better choice?

Any good ideas for the "secured weight"?
Thanks to all for any answers they will be appreciated
If you dont mind sharing what type of deal did you score for it? If not congrats anyway.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:08 AM

If you're in the city, you probably won't miss 4WD that much. My Mazda's 4WD, but it has a limited slip differential, so I rarely use 4WD -- maybe just in my laneway sometimes when it gets mushy, or to pack down my parking spot.

+1 on what BlairTruck said about regular sandbags. The sand seems to leak out of those woven-type bags and makes a mess. If you go that route, check out a landscaping supplier. You can get bags of sand in heavy solid plastic bags that don't leak. The one near me has ones that are about 80 lb. each and cost $5.

A couple of other things I've used over the years in my old 2WD truck were about 6 dead industrial lead-acid batteries from the recycling skid at our shop. I held them down with tie-downs in the box. They had carrying handles on them, which was convenient, if you needed to move them. Maybe a bad scene if they ever cracked and leaked, but it never happened to me. I probably should have put them in some plastic bins, or something.

I've also filled up Rubbermaid bins with sand and gravel. You can get these big bladder things that you fill up with water, and somehow strap down to the bed. If you wanted to take it out while frozen, that would be a problem, I imagine. I've thought of getting those water bags to weigh down the edges of swimming pool covers. That could be cheaper and more convenient if you wanted to move them. In the spring you could just drain the water, roll them up, and put them away for next year.

Not too worried about sand bags flying around. If I get hit that hard, I'd guess the bags would just burst, and I'd probably have bigger problems to worry about in the hospital ... or no problems at all, in the morgue.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode