Anybody instal remote start themselves? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Anybody instal remote start themselves?

I am thinking of getting the 6-button remote start from Tasca. They recommend a Ford dealer do the install.

It consists of splicing about 16 wires. Anybody tackle this? Standard price to install at the dealer is $276 according to this website: http://www.fordaccess.com/Ford.aspx?location=B6080

I have no problem paying, but I like doing things myself. Also, I am not sure they will honour that install price as I didn't buy the starter from them... haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 PM

if you get the fordstart system and instal at dealer it will have the same warranty as your truck(3yrs 60,000km)

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 PM

For a couple of hundred bucks I would go with the fordstart system and have it dealer installed. Splicing into the wrong wire could cost you big time and may affect your dealer warranty . Not worth the risk........

Load It Like A Railcar........................... Drive It Like A Stockcar..........................

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes, this makes sense.

I guess I should make an appointment.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 AM

I've done it before twice. First was on my old '87 Nissan (manual trans., barebones), and then I reinstalled the same remote starter in my B4000 (manual trans., power everything).

The Nissan was easy as pie, since it was about as complex as a lawnmower. Installing in the Mazda was three times more complicated. First, I needed to bypass the clutch switch, since the Nissan didn't have that. You could actually start it in gear. Then there was the ignition bypass module I had to buy from Ebay, and I wanted the power locks to work with the starter remote, and that needed isolation diodes.

Even benefitting from the fact that I had the factory service manual for my truck, and that I had already installed the same system previously, that I am an electronic technician and an industrial instrument mechanic, I wouldn't waste my time doing it again. It was VERY time-consuming and there are a lot of potential pitfalls. It's quite possible to damage the vehicle, or your starter module.

It all works fine, and I have the security of knowing all my connections are well-soldered and insulated, and not done by some pimply-faced minimum wage nimrod at Futureshop -- but that's about it. If I had broken my truck or the starter module, then I would have been crying.

Conclusion: If I had to do it over again, I would have just ordered the factory installed remote starter. I would have also bought stock in Microsoft in 1980 with my paper route money.

I second what shelbyx1 says -- go with the Ford system. It will work, and you'll have a warranty, and no amateur is going to hack up your vehicle.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 AM

I installed my Viper Alarm Remote start with Proximity control (it had 50 wires of which I probably had to hook up 25 of them) and made modifications along the way. It took me a long time! Some shops I went to wouldn't even tough a diesel install so I did it myself.
Programing can also be an issue depending on the unit.
Unless you love wiring and have plenty of time to research as you go, let someone else do it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM

I did my own in my Explorer but that was a 93 XL with no power locks or anti-theft or anything and like 6 wires. I had the local auto accessories shop do my Expedition. With the PATS and everything else, I think it's def. worth paying a pro to do it. To much to screw up. They even had trouble with the bypass, never mind me doing it. I vote for paying for the install.

98 Eddie Bauer Expedition 5.4L - 5 Inch Lift - 315/75/16 Hankook AT/M's
2010 F150 XLT XTR 5.4L Tuxedo Black Metallic.. 285/65/20 BFG At's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:03 AM

I agree - I ordered the FordStart as part of my $ 1000 acces pkg
I've got another autostart installed in my Toyota truck - The store is now gone and i have had the odd problem with it and nowhere to turn to. Factory on this item gives me some peace of mind. For what its worth.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Forum Newbie

No mechanic in my area will install a remote start except at the dealership. Something to do with possible airbag malfunction.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM

I'm pretty much game for installing anything in my truck myself but I wouldn't install an autostater or go with anything other than the factory auto start.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode