DRL How To Turn Off? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

DRL How To Turn Off?

Does anyone know how to turn the DRL lights off on a 2010 F150 FX4? I want to get rid of this option so I can install some HID's. Your help is greately appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
I'm running a set of hids.. been running them since last may-april.
no issues..

just run a relay kit and it will convert the low voltage to normal operating.
and if your running a bi-xenon. then it will do high beams as well.

I turned off illuminated entry. so when i unlocked the truck it doesn't turn on the hids and then they shut off before i start the truck and they turn back on. (bad for hids to power them on and off like that)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Viper238,

No problems with your HID install withDRL's eh?

I plan on just installing them as per manufactures recomendations. The HID's will have a wiring harness that will take power from the battery and use the H13 connector to tell the lights when to turn on. My concern is that they will want to turn on or partialy on when the truck is on with the low voltage DRL's. Do your lights only turn on when the headlight switch is turned on?

Can you send me a link or tell me more about this relay kit on your setup?

Thanks for all the help!

Dan

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM

It sounds like you have a relay harness.

The low voltage from the DRL's is not transfered thru the relay.

It will trigger the relay (even at low voltage) and the relay will get full voltage from the battery and power the ballast.

So, no issues with my setup using a relay harness.
Here's a little side by side action when the truck is doing something with the lights and what the lights are doing at that time.

Truck -/- headlights
DRL = low beam
low beam = low beam
high beam = high beam (if running bi-xenon setup)

i did a few searches in google.
The relay harness might be intimidating but once you lay it out, it really isn't that bad.
Check out the last picture on this page if your doing a bi-xenon setup. it (hi and low beam)
http://www.carhidkits.com/index.php?...allation_guide
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Viper238,

Thanks for the input n your behalf. The HID kit in the last page is exactelly what I have for the truck. I also have a HID kit for the fogs but that should be easy.

Correct me if Im wrong. You are saying the low voltage from the DRL will turn on the relay harness thus powering the headlights whenever the DRL lights are on. So basically the headlights will always be on and the headlight switch will only control the fogs and driving lights? I guess this is OK and no harm will be done to the HID's.

I wuold like to find out how to turn the DRL's off or switch the DRL's to the fogs like my wifes Audi. I like the idead of DRL's but want to be able to controll them. This smart junction box is a little problem with stubern dealers.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Can anyne recomend a dealer that will help me turn off my DRL's through the Ford smart junctin box, I live in the Oakville area?

Im going to see if the dealer that I purchased the truck can help me. Does anyone know if it is possible to have them switch the DRL's from the partial watage headlight bulb, to the fog lights? That would look way cooler and still comply with Canadian law. I assume they didnt do this from the factory because not all trucks came with factory fogs.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Just one more thing. Does anyone know how to have the fogs stay on when the highbeams are turned on? There has to be a way to bypass a relay or something but maybe its harder than that given the smart junction box in the F150's.

I dont like the idea of flashing the highs to wave a car on at a stop sign and have the ballast turn on and off that quickly.

I love my new F150, its way better than my last truck (89 K1500) but why do they nt just come with HID's? It is 2011..........
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM

no licenced shop will disable the day time runners.... at least not one that wishes to stay in buisness long the MTO wouldnt like the idea....

switching them to your fog lights may work but they couldnt be on a switch they would need to be on when the vehical was in gear or running.

If you could get the fogs to stay on all the time there wouldnt be a problem... im not a fan of day time runners either I always liked the option dodge did the there vans in haveing the bright orange marker light

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBelfrd View Post
Viper238,

Thanks for the input n your behalf. The HID kit in the last page is exactelly what I have for the truck. I also have a HID kit for the fogs but that should be easy.

Correct me if Im wrong. You are saying the low voltage from the DRL will turn on the relay harness thus powering the headlights whenever the DRL lights are on. So basically the headlights will always be on and the headlight switch will only control the fogs and driving lights? I guess this is OK and no harm will be done to the HID's. Basically, yes.. the low beams will on whenever the DRL's and low beams are on

I wuold like to find out how to turn the DRL's off or switch the DRL's to the fogs like my wifes Audi. I like the idead of DRL's but want to be able to controll them. This smart junction box is a little problem with stubern dealers.
As per law they won't shut them off. I believe the wiring from the SJB leads them to the headlights, so without rewiring the truck, if possible they will always be on the headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBelfrd View Post
Just one more thing. Does anyone know how to have the fogs stay on when the highbeams are turned on? There has to be a way to bypass a relay or something but maybe its harder than that given the smart junction box in the F150's. I did this on my father in-laws truck, when the high beams are on they power a relay to power the fog lights. Works pretty good. Haven't looked up if possible on our newer trucks.

I dont like the idea of flashing the highs to wave a car on at a stop sign and have the ballast turn on and off that quickly.
Your ballast's won't turn on/off the relay will activate the solenoid built into the bulbs that will move the filement to change the angle of the light beams aka high beam

I love my new F150, its way better than my last truck (89 K1500) but why do they nt just come with HID's? It is 2011..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
no licenced shop will disable the day time runners.... at least not one that wishes to stay in buisness long the MTO wouldnt like the idea....

switching them to your fog lights may work but they couldnt be on a switch they would need to be on when the vehical was in gear or running.

If you could get the fogs to stay on all the time there wouldnt be a problem... im not a fan of day time runners either I always liked the option dodge did the there vans in haveing the bright orange marker light It is possible to have the fogs on all the time. by unplugging them from the factory system. and putting in a relay that is triggered from the headlight relay. so when the headlights are on, so are the fogs. then if u wanted you could put in a switch that triggers a relay that will cut power to the ballasts. so you can manually shut down the headlights. but the factory fogs will be powered.

If you understand all that.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:03 PM

It's probably different then my F350, but I just pulled the fuse on all of the trucks I have had and it killed the DRL's with no adverse affects.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode