2010 FX4 Screw Troubles - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

2010 FX4 Screw Troubles

Just wondering how typical these problems are amongst the rest of you. Mostly minor stuff, but all of it is annoying.

1) Battery is dead if truck is off from more than a few days in cold weather. Dealer replaced battery, I went snowboarding for 3 days and it was dead again when I returned. Never had a problem other than in < -20C temperatures. I did several tests on the current being drawn with the keys out, doors locked and within 15 minutes the draw is always around 0.02A.

2) Transfer case (or something) makes occasional terrible sounds when engaging 4WD. The first time I engaged 4WD it said it shifted and then immediately after started clunking, and a loud and violent bang followed. I actually stopped the vehicle to see if oil or steel was on the road behind me. Dealer insisted I bring it in to be looked at and ended up charging me for diagnostic fees. For thousands of KM after this it would clunk or vibrate violently (sound like grinding gears) when engaging. Now at 16,000Km it seems to work a lot better, but still makes noise on occasion. This is very foreign to me, I owned an 8 year old Nissan that never once made a sound for the 5 years I owned it.

3) Driver's door keypad failed (apparently). First dealer said the keypad worked fine and the fault was probably in the dealer installed command start. Not our problem, go away response, and charged me for diagnostic fees... Dealer 2 said the keypad was defective and took 3 days to change it. I also wanted the battery replaced since the truck was dead every time I returned from work. Upon pickup, the battery was dead and the door lock broke.

4) Door lock broke, see above... Couldn't get into vehicle with dead battery.

5) Door catches freeze and don't close. I pretty much try never to use my tail gate in the winter. It constantly freezes in the open position once it's been opened. Same has happened with the back doors. I actually keep a ratchet strap in the cab to hold doors shut. No, I don't pressure wash the crap out of the door handles.

6) Random SYNC and console glitches. Often stops playing music, but insists that it is still playing. You can select tracks but they don't play. Voice still works and selects a song but will not play it. Vehicle needs to be restarted to get it working again. Not specific to any one type of USB device.

7) Dealer troubles. Warranty work always seems to include a sneaky labor charge that needs to be disputed. Work is often not finished when vehicle is picked up. They don't follow up, or call when trouble shooting a problem. I'm fairly certain the truck wasn't even moved when I took it in for the 4WD noise and lock malfunctioning. Though I still had to pay for them to look at it. Other dealership is almost worse.

8) Engine wobbles at 1,500rpm in park.. Seems like it's out of balance, perhaps this normal?

9) Fuel economy advertised and stuck to the window upon delivery of 25MPG... I have yet to achieve 19MPG driving on a straight highway, doing the limit, with an empty truck, a toneau cover and a 40Km tailwind.

10) Command start constantly does not work, but since it's not a Ford branded item it probably doesn't count. Dealer installed, came with the truck when I bought it. Didn't ask for it.

11) To add one to the list, since another F150 owner was just complaining about it, and I had forgotten... Heater stops working, or only blows on re-circ, no defrost. Really handy at -30C on the highway, like last time it happened to me.

Recently took it in for service and they never called me to pick it up so I called them (on going issue). They said the truck wasn't there... Even though someone told me it was being worked on that morning. 8 hour oil change.

I can go on and on.

Last edited by Orangetang; 03-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 PM

man you put up with too much crap....
if it is still under warantee, you shouldnt be paying anything for them to work on it or look into it, unless it is due to your negligence.
call ford canada head office. let them know what is going on.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

As of the last visit, they've refunded all charges. The one that pissed me off the most was an attempted hour charge for labor to remove the door speaker in the driver's door to change the defective keypad. I installed after market speakers, but the factory wiring and connections are intact, I even kept the Ford clips and modified MY speakers so they could simply be unplugged the same as the factory ones. Unbelievable, especially since it was the 3rd dealer visit to get the door fixed.

As far as contacting Ford Canada, they've been getting the survey/comment things back that they send out. I'm not sure if they're as effective but I would hope so.

Is the transfer case and engine wobble normal?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Sorry dude sounds like you have the worse truck ever and the crappiest dealer on the planet. If I were you I'd call ford canada and talk to them and report the dealer. My 2010 f150 XLT with 44000km on it when I bought it is still covered under warranty, I just got a recall letter for it about the door handle springs and just had the satelite ant gasket replaced as it leaked.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 AM

wow that's quite the list,when you say "wobble"do you mean it shakes at idle?how fast were you going when you shifted into 4x4?as for the dead battery is it consistant i've had some radio units that wouldn't shut down all the time,i've also found "fluid film"works good to keep door locks from freezing and silicone spray on the weather strips.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

In park, at 1,500RPM it shakes worst. Starts around 1,400 stops around 1,600. It's not violent, or rough running, but it doesn't feel balanced.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
just out of curiosity why are you running it at 1500rpm in park??

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

It's not that I do. This is just something I noticed. I've never owned a vehicle that shook from engine RPM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
well mine does. but I've got solid motor mounts and that's why. Check your motor mount bolts (actually nuts) where they bolt to the frame. When I did my swap from a 4.9 to a 5.0 when we went to take the 4.9 put and undo the motor mount nuts we found that they were never installed right from the factory ( must've been a Friday afternoon shift truck). It's just a thought as to what it could be

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Just thought of another major issue. Engine mounts, Ill take a look when I'm back in town. I can't see a mount being loose from the factory, but I'll see if anything is loose anyway. Thanks.

11) To add one to the list, since another F150 owner was just complaining about it, and I had forgotten... Heater stops working, or only blows on re-circ, no defrost. Really handy at -30C on the highway, like last time it happened to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode