Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
2010 FX4 Screw Troubles
Just wondering how typical these problems are amongst the rest of you. Mostly minor stuff, but all of it is annoying.
1) Battery is dead if truck is off from more than a few days in cold weather. Dealer replaced battery, I went snowboarding for 3 days and it was dead again when I returned. Never had a problem other than in < -20C temperatures. I did several tests on the current being drawn with the keys out, doors locked and within 15 minutes the draw is always around 0.02A.
2) Transfer case (or something) makes occasional terrible sounds when engaging 4WD. The first time I engaged 4WD it said it shifted and then immediately after started clunking, and a loud and violent bang followed. I actually stopped the vehicle to see if oil or steel was on the road behind me. Dealer insisted I bring it in to be looked at and ended up charging me for diagnostic fees. For thousands of KM after this it would clunk or vibrate violently (sound like grinding gears) when engaging. Now at 16,000Km it seems to work a lot better, but still makes noise on occasion. This is very foreign to me, I owned an 8 year old Nissan that never once made a sound for the 5 years I owned it.
3) Driver's door keypad failed (apparently). First dealer said the keypad worked fine and the fault was probably in the dealer installed command start. Not our problem, go away response, and charged me for diagnostic fees... Dealer 2 said the keypad was defective and took 3 days to change it. I also wanted the battery replaced since the truck was dead every time I returned from work. Upon pickup, the battery was dead and the door lock broke.
4) Door lock broke, see above... Couldn't get into vehicle with dead battery.
5) Door catches freeze and don't close. I pretty much try never to use my tail gate in the winter. It constantly freezes in the open position once it's been opened. Same has happened with the back doors. I actually keep a ratchet strap in the cab to hold doors shut. No, I don't pressure wash the crap out of the door handles.
6) Random SYNC and console glitches. Often stops playing music, but insists that it is still playing. You can select tracks but they don't play. Voice still works and selects a song but will not play it. Vehicle needs to be restarted to get it working again. Not specific to any one type of USB device.
7) Dealer troubles. Warranty work always seems to include a sneaky labor charge that needs to be disputed. Work is often not finished when vehicle is picked up. They don't follow up, or call when trouble shooting a problem. I'm fairly certain the truck wasn't even moved when I took it in for the 4WD noise and lock malfunctioning. Though I still had to pay for them to look at it. Other dealership is almost worse.
8) Engine wobbles at 1,500rpm in park.. Seems like it's out of balance, perhaps this normal?
9) Fuel economy advertised and stuck to the window upon delivery of 25MPG... I have yet to achieve 19MPG driving on a straight highway, doing the limit, with an empty truck, a toneau cover and a 40Km tailwind.
10) Command start constantly does not work, but since it's not a Ford branded item it probably doesn't count. Dealer installed, came with the truck when I bought it. Didn't ask for it.
11) To add one to the list, since another F150 owner was just complaining about it, and I had forgotten... Heater stops working, or only blows on re-circ, no defrost. Really handy at -30C on the highway, like last time it happened to me.
Recently took it in for service and they never called me to pick it up so I called them (on going issue). They said the truck wasn't there... Even though someone told me it was being worked on that morning. 8 hour oil change.
I can go on and on.
Last edited by Orangetang; 03-11-2011 at 06:11 PM.