NEED HELP: battery issue - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

battery issue

i have a 88 mustang GT and since i've owned it, when its parked or not driven for a few days the battery is getting drained (i'm talking like 2 or 3 days its stone dead) but usually fine when driven regularily. at first i thought maybe the amp from the stereo was draining it, so i unplugged it.. still dies. and this year, i pulled it out last weekend for my buddies wedding and it ran great saturday, sunday and monday (driven everyday all weekend) but i went to start it this morning and dead (overnight), not completely but not enough power to turn it over.. just an irritating *click*.. i'm gonna take the entire stereo system out this weekend and charge the battery fully see what happens. other then the stereo i'm at a loss.. wondering if anyone has any ideas or hints for me from past experiences.. ???...please??? i just wanna drive this thing without worrying if i'm going to be able to get back. could it be an alternator problem not charging the battery properly? i dunnoo.. help please

60% of the time, it works, everytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
how old is the battery? When car is running you should get 14v at the battery and 12v not running

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:52 PM

best thing to do is put an amp meter in series with the neg terminal and start pulling fuses to find the circuit thats drawing(normal draw with key off is 50-100 milliamps)you could have a module thats not going to "sleep mode"or a lamp staying on(12v lamps usually draw around 1-1.5 amps)if you need any more assistance feel free to pm me.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

i bought a brand new one last summer. ill have to wait till this weekend to try these thanks guys

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

i'm thinking it was the battery itself. brought it back to canadian tire, got them to test it and it was eff'd, tester kept showing error, so i pulled out the warranty papers and had to pay 20$ and got a nice shiny new battery. so far so good for the last week.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode