Finally got some decent night pictures! - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Finally got some decent night pictures!

Every time I try to take a picture at night with my camera (Nikon coolpix s600) It turns out blurry or the light streaks or whatever because my hand always moves. So I got a small tripod that screws into the bottom of it and used the 2 second delay so the camera would be perfectly still when it took the picture and it worked well! I have just been using the preset night landscape setting as well as I don't know enough about photography yet to get into all the custom settings yet. But any tips or suggestions would be great!

Pic came out good but the 3'rd brake is a little overpowering with all those led's in there, lol

2004 Ranger FX4 4.0L auto. reg cab, Short box. Gibson Dual cat-back, Superchips Flashpaq, NKG iridium's,k&n filters, Boston acoustic sl80's. Roll-n-lock, ventshades, garmin nav, etc. 31x10.5.15 Wrangler Territories on Alcoa's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Sweet pics

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
love the background!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:28 PM

I'm the same way with my digital camera, they'll do so much stuff you need a degree to use all of the features.

You did the right thing though by picking up a tripod, you'll never be able to hold the camera still enough for night pictures by hand. Pictures turned out good.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval View Post
I'm the same way with my digital camera, they'll do so much stuff you need a degree to use all of the features.

You did the right thing though by picking up a tripod, you'll never be able to hold the camera still enough for night pictures by hand. Pictures turned out good.
Thanks Guys!
Tripod is the only way to go for night pictures with lots of light! Even the ones I took that I didn't use the time delay so I wasn't even touching the camera came out a little blurry, unless the camera is 100% still they look like crap. I'm not sure if I can change some settings in the camera to help this, i'm going to have to dig out the manual if i still even have it. lol

2004 Ranger FX4 4.0L auto. reg cab, Short box. Gibson Dual cat-back, Superchips Flashpaq, NKG iridium's,k&n filters, Boston acoustic sl80's. Roll-n-lock, ventshades, garmin nav, etc. 31x10.5.15 Wrangler Territories on Alcoa's.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Those pictures came out pretty good, and I'd say you're definitely on the right track.

I'm not an expert, either, but I can tell you what works for me. You've already got the two biggest things covered, by using a tripod and the shutter delay. But, you guessed right, to improve on your shots, you'll have to check your instruction book, and get into the manual settings. Here's basically what you want for a good night shot:

- Low ISO setting
The lower the number, the less sensitive the camera sensor. You probably want a setting of ISO 80. The reason is that the more sensitive (higher number), the grainier the image will turn out. Since the sensitivity is low, you compensate by using longer shutter times.

- Very long shutter speed
Some of my better night pictures have shutter speeds lasting several minutes - because by using a low ISO setting, you make the camera less sensitive to light.

- Small aperature (F-stop)
Bigger number = smaller aperature --> gives better "depth of field" (foreground and background in focus).

- Disable auto-focus
Auto-focus needs some kind of light to work. Even though most cameras have a built-in "focus assist" light, but that's useless over a long distance. Manually focus for infinity (or whatever distance is appropriate).

You may be limited by what your camera allows for settings. For example, my Canon camera didn't allow shutter times of more than 15 seconds, originally. I had to get around this by using higher ISO settings or a larger aperature. Since then I found some different firmware that allows you tweak all the settings as you like.

I hope some of that helps. The best thing with a digital camera is that you can try all sorts of different things, and see what works best for you. But keep those pictures coming -- they're looking good!

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Master Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to v8ranger
love the back ground nice pics
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks B4000 that should help allot. Going to do some messing with the camera tonight and see if I can get some more. Downtown looks pretty cool in -30 with all the steam coming out of everything! lol going to have to go for another outing!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM

nice pics,i find it hard to take clear pics in alberta winters(must be all the shivering)

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 AM

Pretty cool pics. I can't wait to do a few night pics of mine. Its been nothing but rain in Southwestern Ontario. I cleaned and polished her the other day for some late sunset and night shots but, of course washing a brand new truck brings on the rain.

2011 F-150 XTR Ecoboost
2002 Dakota Quad cab sport-traded
1991 Jeep Cammanche Pioneer-sold

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode