Toyo Open Country CT ? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Toyo Open Country CT ?

Has anyone tried the new Toyo Open Country CT tires ? Wondering how they handle in winter and how loud they are on the highway. I do a fair amount of winter driving so I need something quiet and good on ice/snow.

Thanks,
C

Last edited by CDM76; 12-04-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Haven't tried them, looked at them but they were pricey but I find all Toyo LT tires are.

You don't see a ton of them on trucks, mostly AT's or MT's it seems. The only trucks I've ever seen with CT's were oilfield service type trucks.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Never tried them and won't! HATE the Toyo's on my Lightning. Overpriced fucking hockey pucks.

Nicole - 2004 Ford F-150 Lightning #3573
Emily - 2010 Ford F-150 FX4

Amsoil Independent Dealer
Amsoil Home Page

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Overpriced fucking hockey pucks.
Heard that from many guys.... epic disappointment.

I'm looking at the duratracs, or the BFG TA/KO2s. I won't be pulling that trigger for a while though.... only 1138kms on the new truck.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

I was looking at the BFG's as well. Also considering the Bridgestone Blizzacks. Dad has them on his F150 and swears by them.

Reason I was looking at the CTs is that I had the Toyo AT2's on my previous F150 and loved them. They worked well on the road and off. I like the looks of the CT but am scared that they are loud and wear quickly

Anyone try the Michelin X Ice ? Dont hear much of them on trucks, but never know !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
I don't know anyone who's tried true winter tires on a truck. A snowflake rated AT is what I look for. The Duratrac is, When I had BFG AT's they were and my new General Grabber AT's are snowflake rated.

Personally I'd never put snow tires on a 4x4 truck. Having a summer and winter set isn't cheap. I'm anti-winter tire though, it's winter driving conditions for a handful of days a year here.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 AM

Garage
I've been running Blizzaks for the last ten years on several trucks, my personal preference and opinion is that the BFG AT's are fantastic three season tires, but the tread is just too chunky for winter.

Snow isn't the big deal for me, its more the stopping on ice, and theres no substitute for a dedicated winter tire like the Blizzak, plus the salt doesn't beat the hell out of my summer wheels.

Don't know about the Toyos, but having used Blizzaks, and the Michelin X Ice on at least one truck in the past, plus the wifes Edge, they're pretty similar.

Don't think you'd be disappointed with either of them.

Always amazes me how much quieter they are than the BFG's.

Open Country above, Blizzaks below.

Its those extra grooves that assist in grip on the ice, from the pics I'd say Toyos are not a dedicated winter tire choice.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
I don't know anyone who's tried true winter tires on a truck. A snowflake rated AT is what I look for. The Duratrac is, When I had BFG AT's they were and my new General Grabber AT's are snowflake rated.

Personally I'd never put snow tires on a 4x4 truck. Having a summer and winter set isn't cheap. I'm anti-winter tire though, it's winter driving conditions for a handful of days a year here.
I used to have good AT tires on truck year round, but I also did a lot of trail and off roading (had to keep up with the girlfriend and her jeep) but now I am driving a pavement princess. The closest its getting to off-roading is my driveway. Also I drive Grande Prairie - Calgary and back every 4-8 days. Hwy 2 is bad enough, but Hwy 43 is brutal. Last winter almost lost it twice on ice because I left cruise control on and the truck started to spin under acceleration. Hence my need to make sure have good dedicated winter tires. Besides, with two sets they last twice as long
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
I've been running Blizzaks for the last ten years on several trucks, my personal preference and opinion is that the BFG AT's are fantastic three season tires, but the tread is just too chunky for winter.

Snow isn't the big deal for me, its more the stopping on ice, and theres no substitute for a dedicated winter tire like the Blizzak, plus the salt doesn't beat the hell out of my summer wheels.

Don't know about the Toyos, but having used Blizzaks, and the Michelin X Ice on at least one truck in the past, plus the wifes Edge, they're pretty similar.

Don't think you'd be disappointed with either of them.

Always amazes me how much quieter they are than the BFG's.
Thanks ! I never thought to picture the tires side by side. BIG difference. I think this time around I'm going to listen to my old man (and yourself SVT4MT) and go Blizzaks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Yes C, go with the Blizzaks. Cruise control on our roads on ice with all the hills and whatnot, might as well put a gun to your head!

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode