6Likes
  • 4 Post By herbz
  • 1 Post By SVT4MT
  • 1 Post By herbz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Been driving a 2016

With things so quiet around here I thought I'd share my impressions. I've been driving my dad's 16' SCREW XTR 2.7 Eco for the last week. I haven't taken it on any long trips or done any work with it all my impression has been city driving.

What I like:

Super comfortable and quiet ride (Not hard to be better coming from my 05 FX4 with 33's)
Back seat space is huge
SYNC 3 has worked flawlessly for me.
Fuel economy, getting 11.8L/100km city driving.
Having always had an Edge to monitor things I like the trans temp gauge and all the truck apps.
Having the tailgate lock with the doors is well overdue and convenient.
LED bed lights are nice
Backup camera (Only for seeing my distance from other cars, walls etc. I still find it easier to back up with the mirrors.

What I don't like:

Truck feels huge, very wide. Something you'd have to just learn.
Turning radius seems large compared to my 05 even though the wheelbases should be similar.
Mirrors, this truck has the standard mirrors and they are terrible IMO. Too small. Blindspot mirror is nice.
Column shifter, I constantly reach for the console shifter out of habit. I also found it hard at first to actually know what gear I was in as the indicator doesn't move in sync with the shifter. I constantly missed reverse and drive.

The auto start/stop drove me nuts. Especially residential driving, at one stop sign it started and stopped 3 times before it was clear for me to turn, just seems excessive to me. I turned it off at times but I'm sure you could learn to live with it. It never caused me any issues, just didn't like it.

It pains me to say it but I like the 2.7 , it sure gets up and moves when you want to. I would consider it as an option when getting a new truck even being hardcore pro V8. It did seem a bit rev happy at times, very different than my 5.4.

In terms of overall fit, finish and comfort it's miles ahead of my 05. It makes me want a new truck pretty bad but the fact this XLT SCREW 4x4 with 302a package was just over $53k makes me second guess that.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Garage
Good write up, I'm still not sold on the EB, and yes, I test drove one, not the current gen, but three years ago.

Auto stop/start is pretty much what I expected, I can't imagine what sort of starter can tolerate that many cranks before eventual failure.
Mrmagoo likes this.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to herbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Good write up, I'm still not sold on the EB, and yes, I test drove one, not the current gen, but three years ago.

Auto stop/start is pretty much what I expected, I can't imagine what sort of starter can tolerate that many cranks before eventual failure.
I would never consider a 3.5 Eco, oodles of power but the fuel economy isn't there.

I have the same reservations about the auto start/stop. It is intelligent enough to not do it when it's cold out.

Another thing that was interesting was how quiet the climate control fan is. On full power you can't hear it but the air is moving.
SVT4MT likes this.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:09 AM

great write up. sounds like these new trucks are really nice. not too sure what to think of the auto start stop feature though....
and like you said, the prices are crazy even with the incentives.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:15 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
I would never consider a 3.5 Eco, oodles of power but the fuel economy isn't there.

I have the same reservations about the auto start/stop. It is intelligent enough to not do it when it's cold out.

Another thing that was interesting was how quiet the climate control fan is. On full power you can't hear it but the air is moving.
I have about 16k km on mine getting about 12.1/100km , enjoying mine , I'm coming from a 2003 5.4 😀

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode