Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Advice needed for tire/wheel set up

866 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Longshot12 
#1 ·
Hey all, this will be my first time adding any new tires or custom rims to my 2016 f-150 XL truck. The tires that came with my truck are 245/70/17’s. Im looking for something just to fill in more, nothing fancy or no lift kit nothing like that. My question is will there be a big enough noticeable difference with the 265/70/17’s? Or should i go to a 275/70/17? I like to keep the rim at 17 dia, i do like the look of more tire than alot of rim. For the tires i like the FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W TIRES and rims i like the KMC XD Series XDAddict 17x9. Just not sure if its worth to go up to the 275/70/17’s for the extra money for alittle bit of tire i will get? Can anybody help, this will be my first big purchase on aftermarket tire/wheel package.
Thanks!

#2 ·
If you're going to widen your tires, make sure your turning isn't affected and you're prepared to have tires sticking out from the body line. You may have to have less offset on the rim to compensate. 265/75/17 might get you what you're looking for instead of 275/70/17.

#3 ·
Is it a 4x4? 275/70/17 is just under 32" tall and 275 is factory width so fitment isn't a problem. That tire is almost 1.5" taller than your current size. The rim offset will just affect how much the tire sticks out. Also remember with the bigger tire your speedometer/odometer will not register properly.

#6 ·
Since it is XL and not a XLT i got 245/70/17s. Im not worried about fitment just the looks of going up to either the 265/70/17 vs 275/70/17 tire, is there enough difference to be able to tell or should i just get the 265/70/17 tire and save some money, i dont think i will haVe any issues with the wheels im putting on with a offsett of 20 with either tire. Just want to fill in the wheel wells more but im not looking for 285 tires just something that makes it look more like a truck lol, ive been wanting to put some rims and tires on it for some time. Still not sure of what all terrain tire to use, def something that is good in the winters. So may to choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.