Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

SUPERCHARGER NEEDED!

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Lilbigtrk 
#1 ·
where would i be able to pick up a supercharger for 97ranger..4L

#2 ·
I dont think they make one as a straight bolt on for the ranger. You'd prolly have to fab up an adapter plate for the intake. I dont know about the rangers but I know you can put a Roots M90 or M112 on a 97 f150 4.2L but you need the adapter plate. You could go to www.supersixmotorsports.com and ask them. They sell the Roots adapter plate for the 3.8L/4.2L. As far as I know they are the only ones selling it for $900.

#4 ·
Don't waste your money on an "electric charger" it only spins at a constant rpm so as the revs on the motor go up it doesn't increase its own rpms so you dont get any more than the base psi boost. It may even hinder air flow at the higher rpms since it cant pump in enough air to keep up with the demand for it from the motor. If you really want one just connect an old hair dryer to your intake, its about the same thing.

Find out which ones will fit under the hood without clearance probs then go look, like ebay.
I'd bet an Eaton M90 or M112 would fit. But you just dont bolt on an S/C and go driving. You have to get it tuned, new injectors, colder spark plugs, better fuel pump etc...

#9 ·
Like f150phule said, there's a lot more to it than just bolting it on and viola, you're done. To get it tuned, better plugs, fuel pump, new injectors etc, you're probably going to be investing more in the kit/upgrades alone, than the truck is actually worth.... but hey, to each his own.

Also when you go supercharged, you're welcomed into the lovely family of premium gas. The way they're talking, gas could reach $1.40/litre for Regular gas ($1.50-$1.55 for premium) by the summer... something I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to if I was currently supercharged.

But hey, if you have the money, the time to do it and want to be unique, they I support you... you'll certainly seperate your Ranger from the rest of them! :icon_wink:

#11 ·
WHY..?? if your going to put on a blower your not really concerned about running 91 - 94 octane fuel and if you are then don't put one on, It doesn't cost that much more to use the more expensive fuel thats all I run and I swear I get better mileage and it runs better and cleaner as well

#12 ·
Take a look at centrfugal style sc units. Vortec and Paxton are two that I would consider. Also keep in mind you will need to upgrade your fuel pump and injectors so the engine does not "lean out" on you. You'll need to get into the computer on your truck to accomodate the parameters required for forced induction. For that I would recommend a MegaSquirt setup. It would be pretty cool to see a blown 4.0 SOHC.

#13 ·
I have heard of guys putting the supercoupe sc on 4.0's,,I have access to one,,But i think the kits available are for the sohc not the ohv that Dragnslyr has.Would love to find one myself,,lol...I also run 91 octane in my truck,,,seems to go further and definitly runs better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.