Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Cam phaser problem.

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  06superdirty5.4 
#1 ·
Cam phazer

Hey I'm new to this forum. I have 2006 f250 superduty with a 5.4l. Just bought it and now I'm hearing a knocking sound almost like a quiet deisle. From what I hear its probably cam phazer issues. Anyone have this done and how much did it cost to fix?

#2 ·
Hi everyone! Last weekend I bought a 2006 f-250 s/d with 5.4l from a used car lot. I didn't notice when I test drove it but on the way home with it I noticed, at idle, it made a knocking sound. I took to Google and read about all the horror stories regarding the cam phaser issue. Some people said this noise was normal and others said it's most certainly not. I phoned ford and they said if it's not running really rough that its probably a normal noise. I had noticed a slight misfire when underload in overdrive (at first I thought that was just a bad coil over plug) so I decided to take it to a friend that works at ford. He said get it in right away. So I made the appointment with him and it went in today. Turns out it's the cam phasers (big surprise) and the vct solenoid. Quoted me $3600 to fix. So I'll be going to the place i bought it tomorrow to see what they will do, but with no warranty I'm worried they wont do anything. Was super excited to get a 3/4 thats newer ( I've never had anything but early 90s f150s) but now I'm not feeling so good about my purchase. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
The only, albeit not very helpful, suggestion I have is get rid of it and procure a pre-1997 F-250 or F-350. Parts are cheaper and in most cases easier to get. If the quote is just for one head, you can pretty much guarantee the other head isn't far behind.

#4 ·
The $3600 quote includes both phasers, tensioners, vct solenoids and everything else related to the timing system except the chain its self because he says the chain is usually fine. They said that the phasers and solenoids are the problem and its likely that the rest of needs replacing but they wont know for sure until they actually remove the valve covers. I cant see having it apart and not doing the guides/tensioners and what not. To get rid of it, unless the dealer I bought it from buys if back from me for what I paid for it (not happening), I'm looking at a loss in value at least the cost of the fix because I wont unload it on someone else, like me, who was ignorant to the issue. I appreciate the response but you're right its not much help.

#5 ·
You are experiencing a very common issue with 5.4L 3V engines, which I'm sure you've found out.

I'd talk to the place you bought it from before you dump money in it. If they won't help you I guess all you can do is fix it. The things your mechanic wants to do seem reasonable and the price isn't crazy.

#6 ·
Thanks. I went and saw the sales person where I bought it, the owner was on holidays, he did phone the owner and he said he would have it done at the private shop he used for half of fords quote and split that bill in half with me. I told the sales guy that I didn't want any aftermarket parts and I wanted all fords part numbers. He said he would have to call the boss back later and call me around 5:00. He didn't call me back. So I went back to the place, it was closed and all locked up with nobody there. I called an after hours number that was written on the door and got the owner. He still wanted his shop to do the work and if I wanted ford parts I would have to pay the upcharge. I said no. I said I would split fords quote with him because I was more comfortable having them do it and warranty the repair and parts. He agreed to that. Not ideal that I have to pay another $1800 but I'm glad it'll be done.

#7 ·
Thought I'd though an update out there. My f-250 went into ford for the timing system repair and sure enough more problems. Cam shafts and journals and what ever else that raised the bill to almost 7 grand or a new motor for 10 installed. Lucky for me the place I bought it from just gave me my money back. So looking for a truck again. Any suggestions on engines in F-250 or f-350? I'd rather stick with a ford but my options where I am are limited in 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks in my price range. I'll be buying something in the range of 2000 -2010. Newer then that is more then I want to spend on a work truck / hunting truck. Any older and it has high km or is rusted out.

#10 ·
6.0 Diesel is worse than the 5.4 gas. The parts are more expensive. The problems are more extensive. And, Ford doesn't seem to know how to repair them properly.

#11 ·
I've got an '01 f150 with a 5.4
no problems other than the loose plug deal , once
and I just had to put an alternator on it
- it does seem to have a little piston slap now when really cold until warmed up some

at 350850 km's

my 95 merc with a 4.6 went 580 000 km's without anything other than an alternator too
only reason it went to the scrapyard was I had the truck too and didn't need the rusty old merc

however I too would avoid any 4.6 or 5.4 build after 03 .. yep the ones that got the phasers
and the problematic two piece plugs
- you know about THOSE ?

#12 ·
My 04 runs good. Biggest problem with phasers is people who run too long between oil changes and oil is dirty. I run synthetic oil and change every 5-6000km.
If you use a 1/2 inch drive impact and try to run the plugs out in one shot they will break. Use Ford's proceedure and usually no problem. The new plugs are not two piece.

Reactions: SKRWZ
#14 ·
Yes, it's under the name "351 Windsor."

#17 ·
Are you sure its piston slap you're hearing. Rattle on start up is common with the cam phaser problems and, at that stage, could start doing some serious damage to cam shafts and journals or valves and pistons. Yes you can maybe prevent an issue with cam phasers with regular oil changes and you can get a lock out kit for it. The lock out doesn't help you much if the damage is already done. And you have to get an aftermarket tuner so your computer doesn't think something's wrong. If you talk to an honest tech at the ford dealer they'll tell you to avoid the 5.4. They see alot of them in the shop. I've always been a ford guy but trying to buy a 3/4 ton truck in my price range ( I'd like to keep it around $15,000), and not buy something with over 200000 km, and avoid the 5.4l, is hard. F-250's with the triton seem to be the cheapest for sale in their class. Maybe for a reason. Only other option for ford is deisle. If the 6.0l is problematic then the good old 7.3l is the only option that makes sense. People want alot of money for them. I see alot for sale for $15,000 ish with 350000km +.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.